Xanthan Gum

Options
MelanieCN77
MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
I'm interested in making my own pudding with cashew milk for the base and xanthan gum to thicken, but a couple of experiments left me with the most disgusting textured stuff ever. I used a cup or so of the cashew milk and a scant half teaspoon of the gum and a stick blender. The texture was not uniform and really gross - did I use too much or too little gum, or perhaps the stick blender is the wrong tool? Too much blending, not enough?

Any tips or recipes to suggest? In addition to the stick blender, I have a mini food processor and a Nutribullet if either of those would work better. I would like to get the base perfect so I can branch off with flavours as the mood takes me.

Replies

• guitargirl55
    guitargirl55 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    As a g free individual, I am really curious what other members have for suggestions on this.

I usually use corn starch as a thickener, and always with heat. I have absolutely no idea how xanthan gum works, but if you were using corn starch, I would recommend taking a small amount of cashew milk, just a tablespoon or two, warm it up a bit, and thoroughly mix in the xanthan gum. Then slowly pour that mixture into the rest of the milk while using your stick blender. I have no idea if that will actually work though. You may need to heat the whole mixture.

Good luck!
  • MelanieCN77
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm a corn starch pro, looking for info about the gum, but thanks! Xanthan gum doesn't need heat and has a different calorie/macro content.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have only used xanthan gum for sauces, not for pudding. I'm wondering if the quantity you used was too much for the amount of milk? I'm only asking because when it use it in sauces, the recipes call for a tiny, tiny amount.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I agree with @janejellyroll. I make a batch of salad dressing once a month and I only use 1/2 tsp for the whole thing.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    You might both be right, I'm seeing recipes now that call for "a sprinkle" and just found one that says to use 1/8 tsp per cup of non dairy whatever and to blend fast so maybe I'll switch to the blender not the stick. I'll give it another go later today.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Try arrowroot powder or agar agar
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    Try arrowroot powder or agar agar

Well I have xanthan gum so I am wanting to try that.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Yeah, no go. Still the texture of lumpy mucus...