Cant exercise this week, will I still lose weight?

I usually go to the gym every day but this week I cant. If I eat 1,200 calories (which is what I'm suppose to eat to lose weight) will I still lose weight this week without exercise involved?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. Exercise can certainly be part of that, but it isn't required for weight loss.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    You might actually lose more as your muscles shed water from lack of stimulation.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Probably, but it's only 1 week... so progress might not be noticeable given the very very short time frame you are talking about.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You lose weight when you're in a calorie deficit. Exercise can add to that deficit, but most people create the deficit by eating less - and MFP is even designed for you to eat back your exercise calories.

You are not supposed to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. You lose weight when you eat below maintenance. If you pick a too aggressive weightloss goal - for instance 2 pounds per week without having the sufficient fat stores - MFP gives you 1200, the lowest calorie intake considered safe for females.