Recovery question

Options
ghudson92
ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
edited May 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi. I do 4 workouts a week consisting of weights and HIIT. During my last two sessions I have had a pain in the outside of my knee. What's the best way to soothe it? Stretches? Walking? Yoga? Foam roller?

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Is it sharp pain, like you injured it or dull achy pain? RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, elevation) method works best for me if I am injured.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Stretching/yoga is good to keep everything limber and if the knee pain is caused by a tight muscle or tendon, then it should help.

Foam rollers are for compressing muscles between the roller and the bone, you should not be rolling over joints, there isn't any muscle there and that could be damaging for tendons and ligaments.

I'm not sure how running would help unless it's a warm up prior to stretching.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Doctor.
  • ghudson92
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I always forget I need to be *super* detailed on here. I know what foam rollers are for and I meant to put walking not running. I think maybe some yoga would be best.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rice for a week and then see a physio if it's not better or reoccurs
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i would guess it's overuse and tight.
    rice and stretch
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    During my last two sessions I have had a pain in the outside of my knee.

It only hurts during the workout? If so, it's probably not from inflammation, so ice is unwarranted. Ice slows circulation, which delays healing, so it's only for reducing swelling.

Which exercises cause pain?
  • ghudson92
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    During my last two sessions I have had a pain in the outside of my knee.

It only hurts during the workout? If so, it's probably not from inflammation, so ice is unwarranted. Ice slows circulation, which delays healing, so it's only for reducing swelling.

Which exercises cause pain?

I think it came from going up a plate doing squats, the following day it hurt to bounce around during my combat class but otherwise has been OK. I am taking the rest of the week off from the gym. If it hurts again on monday then I will seek medical advice as the knee is a bit dodgy anyway.