Eating Healthy and Staying Active While on Family Vacation!

Options
This weekend, my family is taking a road trip to Niagara Falls. We are stopping in New York one night and going to a theme park there, then driving to Niagara Falls. While there, we are going to eat at the Top of the Falls Restaurant then stay in a hotel. The next day, we are driving to Toronto, spending the day there then staying the night. Then we're driving straight home the next day.

My family likes to eat fast food, and I actually really hate fast food. Especially after about half a year of trying to clean up my eating fast food has just become super unappealing to me. What are some "healthy" fast food option for while we are on the road. Or even, what are some good and healthy snacks that I can pack to eat instead of having to order a fast food meal? Same goes for theme park food and hotel breakfasts. I know that I get completely overwhelmed when I'm faced with a buffet and end up eating with my eyes. I feel guilty when I don't eat everything that's on my plate so I stuff myself and feel terrible about the calories later. Does anyone have tips for that?

Lastly, how can I keep up an exercise routine while on this vacation? I know a vacation is exactly that, a vacation, but what is a light exercise plan that I can easily stick to and complete while at rest stops/in the hotel room etc.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    As much as I HATE Subway, they have a salad option. Wendy's also has some really nice salads and stuffed baked potatoes (they used to have the potatoes anyway; not sure if they still do). A lot of Mexican grills also have salad/bowl option (Moe's, Chipotle, Q'doba).

As for snacks-- nuts and fruit are the first that come to mind. Apples will stay good for weeks; bananas and other "soft" fruit, for a few days.If you wanted to make a sandwich or wrap to bring along, you could probably do that (I've been known to make a PB and banana sandwich on whole grain bread to take with me whenever I'm flying, to avoid airport food).

As for keeping active-- what are your plans in all of those places? I'm sure the area around Niagara falls has some nice hiking. If you're in the city, try walking to landmarks, rather than taking a cab or a bus.

In the hotel room, you can easily do abs, squats, push ups. Google "body weight exercises" for a TON of things that can be done with no equipment. Also check if your hotel has a gym-- most of them do, and a lot are extremely well stocked.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk!! I find vacations usually aren't actually all that bad because I end up walking so much. If you're staying at a hotel in Niagara Falls proper, then leave your car in the hotel and walk everywhere. It's a very walkable place. (Well, the Canadian side is, I'm not as familiar with the US side, which I guess you're staying in?)

Toronto is definitely walkable (I live here). Let me know if you want restaurant suggestions! Parking is expensive, so leave your car at your hotel and walk everywhere (unless you're staying in the 'burbs, but even then you can transit into downtown).

In Canada, Tim Hortons is at almost every rest stop and they do some nice sandwiches and soups that don't taste too "fast foody".