Breakfast bars

Options
Hello! I am a SUPER picky eater, and I’m looking for a really good breakfast bar. I barely ever eat breakfast, and when I do it’s usually a granola bar or two. I’m looking to getting into eating in the morning, but my stomach tends to hurt if I eat too much, and I’m in a rush usually lol. So my question for you is whats your favorite and ‘healthiest’ breakfast bar? I’ve been debating on trying the slim fast ones just for breakfast (not doing the whole slim fast diet) just to get my matabolism going in the morning. Thoughts?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Getting your metabolism going at breakfast is a myth. The only thing you are getting going is digestion. If you are not having problems with energy or hunger breakfast is completely optional. I have eaten it very seldom (usually breakfast meetings) for more than 20 years.

ETA: With that said I am sure someone will be along with suggestions if you need them.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Special-K/Fiber-One/Nature Valley/Clif all make bars with added protein and fiber. There are also protein bars. If you are currently fine on eating nothing (ie not hungry), then no reason not to continue with that and save the calories for later.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    if you dont like to eat in the morning why do you want to? I prefer to save my calories for when im actually hungry and want to eat which tends to be the hour before bed. Getting your matabolism "going" is not a thing, stop listening to woo and eat when you want and when your hungry.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I bought these yesterday. They're awesome. I eat them as a snack but I don't see why you couldn't have them for breakfast.

ZFMruIw.jpg
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I like energy bars too but they're not my whole breakfast.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Special-K/Fiber-One/Nature Valley/Clif all make bars with added protein and fiber. There are also protein bars. If you are currently fine on eating nothing (ie not hungry), then no reason not to continue with that and save the calories for later.

At my office, there is grab what you want snacks and one thing nearly always available is the Nature Valley Peanut Bitter and Dark Chocolate protein bars. Only 10g protein in 190 calories, but they are like a pretty decent candy bar that has some nutritional value. I snag one or two sometimes when I need to work through lunch and didn't bring anything in. I will have a couple tonight if I go SUP paddling after work and don't really get dinner. To me, they are pretty tasty. I regularly go over mfp's recommended carbs and sugar; if you worry more about being close on all your macros. they are not as good a choice.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Make your own. Use Nigella Lawson's recipe for the basics, use whatever fruit, nuts, seeds you like. Cut them whatever size you like.
    I have made it with dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and almonds.
    I want to try it with blueberries and pecans, then with apricots and almonds.
    I have also made it with condensed milk instead of sweetened condensed milk. I added a little sugar, but not as much as sweetened condensed milk. I liked it better, but it changed the consistency. I will add a little flaxseed meal the next time I try it.

Takes a long time to bake, but they last about 2 weeks.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i like nature valley with nut butter inside.
    i've been known to eat honey stinger waffles for breakfast
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

At my office, there is grab what you want snacks and one thing nearly always available is the Nature Valley Peanut Bitter and Dark Chocolate protein bars. Only 10g protein in 190 calories, but they are like a pretty decent candy bar that has some nutritional value. I snag one or two sometimes when I need to work through lunch and didn't bring anything in. I will have a couple tonight if I go SUP paddling after work and don't really get dinner. To me, they are pretty tasty. I regularly go over mfp's recommended carbs and sugar; if you worry more about being close on all your macros. they are not as good a choice.

But definitely a vast improvement over granola bars (just starch, sugar, fat) when it comes to macro balance.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, don't eat.