Keto vs WW Freestyle

Options
So my daughter is having really great results on keto. I've been skeptical, but I can't deny her success. I've just started WW Freestyle and it hasn't had much time to work, but I'm down a couple of pounds. I'm really tempted to shift into more of the keto plan, but I don't want to stop logging in my WW app. However, the fats I log on WW are not free. In fact, they are quite costly...points-wise. This will put me over my allowed points every day. Thoughts?

Replies

• nicolehorn0114
    nicolehorn0114 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Why don’t you try using the calories MFP gives you at a modest weight loss goal? It’s free, easy, and you can still fit in foods you enjoy.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Why don’t you try using the calories MFP gives you at a modest weight loss goal? It’s free, easy, and you can still fit in foods you enjoy.

Oh, I totally am! I'm logging on both and being very vigilant. I'm making sure I have a deficit every day. I weigh and log on MFP, but I also went on WW and I log on that app, too. But the keto people are having such good results on keto and it put me over my point (and probably fat calorie limits on MFP). I guess I will just see where I'm seeing the best results and go with that.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Keto always lookes better at the beginning. It tends to make you lose water the first few weeks. By the time the water loss is done you don't want to eat any more fat so you restrict your calories. I did many low carb diets over my lifetime. I always lost weight and I always gained it back. I couldn't live that way permanently so I learned nothing. This time I lost it on MFP with low calorie and have maintained. I haven't been this thin since I was a teenager. I'm 61 by the way. :-) Keep going you will catch up with your daughter. I hope that BOTH of you maintain your losses.
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Keto for almost 5 months and have lost over 50 lbs. I have also done WW in the past and had been mildly successful with that (although on Keto I have been more successful), but did gain after I stopped tracking my points with WW.

Keto is low carb and high fat, WW is trying to gear you away from fats. This is why when you enter your foods to reach your keto goals, you are going over your WW goals. I think you probably need to decide which method you want to use, as your different apps will you give you conflicting macros.

I use an app called Carb Manager, which is almost exactly like MFP. You can search foods and enter them into your tracker. It tracks your carbs, fats and protein, and also your calories.

Good luck!
  • dotren
    dotren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do WW Freestyle and low carb. I lose slowly at best, but I'm losing slowly and consistently, so it's working for me.
    I do not eat a lot of the "zero point" foods, I see that as a recipe for disaster.
    Basically I count 1 serving as "zero points" then count points if I eat more than 1.
    Since I'm low carb as well, that's not normally a problem since I don't usually have more than 1/2 cup of beans or 1 serving of fruit a day anyway.
    I do use my points for avocado, nuts, beef, olive oil, olives, and things like that since the calories on WW tend to be too low, IMO.
    I track on WW and MFP a couple times a month to make sure I'm hitting at least 1200 calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Oh, I totally am! I'm logging on both and being very vigilant. I'm making sure I have a deficit every day. I weigh and log on MFP, but I also went on WW and I log on that app, too. But the keto people are having such good results on keto and it put me over my point (and probably fat calorie limits on MFP). I guess I will just see where I'm seeing the best results and go with that.

If you want to try keto, you'll want to change the fat calorie limits to suit your macronutrient goals. First set good protein goals: most women eat over 70g protein- more (much more) if you are active. Then you limit your carbs: keto is under 50g a day but many start lower. The rest is fat, often 60+ %.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer keto because the foods you eat have an impact on appetite and cravings, while WW (which I did a few years ago) is really just about portions. It’s easier for me to not eat a cookie because I don’t crave cookies than it is for me to not eat the cookie because I already had too many points/calories whatever. But to each her own! This is ultimately about calories either way.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. What works for me might not work for you. And, vice versa.

I have been doing Keto for several months because I have higher A1C. So, it makes sense (for me). I also am in a very fortunate situation in that I am one who can eat the same thing forever and a day and NEVER get tired of it (well, I am human, so eventually I will - but that is short lived).

Keto is not for everyone. Admittedly, having close to no carbs ever is something that could trip people up. For lots of people, this is not sustainable. All good!

There are people for whom the Keto Lifestyle is life saving. And thank the good Lord for it.

If Keto is something that you can do, then kill it. There are lots of potential obstacles and I recently fell to one of them (my gym performance totally sucked, so I stopped - sorta).

Keto, generally speaking, is 75% of your calories coming from fats, 20% from protein and 5% from carbs. I can tell you that a lot of people are turned off by that. I, for one, am not! I love love love it.

Be aware of some of the things that kill Keto for some people: the Keto Flu. To avoid that you would need to ensure that you double-down (pardon the pun.....might be not a good choice here) on your Electrolytes (Sodium, Magnesium, and Potassium).

You will likely indeed experience a dramatic drop in the scale after about three - five days. That is 'water weight' for the most part. You are depleting your body of its glycogen reserves....plain and simple. The weight loss then is pretty much calories in | calories out. Keto is not necessarily magic. I mean, it is - as mentioned - for some. Lots of cancers use glucose as its fuel and when you do not have that anymore....good things happen.

Anyway, I wish you all the best fortune in this journey. Ask as many questions as you like. Don't feel silly....I am pretty confident in saying that if you have a question then many others have it, too!

I personally love Keto. But that is me. Everyone is different.