Can I lose on 1,650 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    In my opinion, one has to do more exercise when eating 1600 calories a day. Just add one or two workouts a week and cut a few calories and that should create a deeper deficit.

It does depend upon the person. That may be true for some, but for others it would create too large a deficit. I've lost over 70 pounds eating 2200-2400 calories per day and exercising. If I was eating 1600 and exercising, I'd be dropping weight like crazy...and losing a lot of muscle in the process. A deeper deficit isn't always a good thing.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Also, the BMI does not consider muscle mass. Muscle weights more than fat.

To the bolded - No, it doesn't.

It doesn’t? I was under the impression that muscle is denser than fat, and therefore has a greater mass for the same volume. Is that incorrect?
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

It doesn’t? I was under the impression that muscle is denser than fat, and therefore has a greater mass for the same volume. Is that incorrect?

It is kind of like the question "Which weighs more? A ton of feathers or a ton of brick"
    Yes, muscle will look so much better and you will look so much better as it is compact.

To OP: Honestly, you really didn't give a lot of into. I walk daily for an hour and do a brisk walk to try for 300 calories. I am losing, but I also can't have that many calories. You are pretty close to your great bmi despite what others had said. This is a "try thing" as in try it for a bit and if it isn't working, up the activity, eat a bit less or both. We are all different :)
    Best of luck on your journey!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

It is kind of like the question "Which weighs more? A ton of feathers or a ton of brick"

Exactly how is it like that question?

It is true that BMI ignores body composition, and so will count someone with high muscle mass as ‘overweight’. It is also true that for the same volume, muscle is heavier than fat.

That may or may not be relevant to the OP, but wooing anyone who says that muscle is heavier than fat is just being over-picky about wording.