Speeding up metabolism

Options
124»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Taylor is a good brand so I don't think the scale sucks. Either it is broken, or you accidentally hit the rare, or you out the banana on it before the scale was on. At least my scale considers anything placed on it before I turn it on to be 0.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Taylor is a good brand so I don't think the scale sucks. Either it is broken, or you accidentally hit the rare, or you out the banana on it before the scale was on. At least my scale considers anything placed on it before I turn it on to be 0.

Yes, digital scales will automatically zero themselves to the weight of anything on them when they're turned on. You must turn it on when there's nothing on it, and then place the item to be weighed.

FWIW, I've had a horrible time with scales from Target. Every one of them has been defective somehow. The one I finally didn't return has LCD segments for the higher digits that won't turn on. It doesn't much matter since I don't need any weights over 1kg, but still.
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Good call on the food scale, regardless of what it’s telling you about your past consumption. At least you know going forward that what you are logging is accurate. That said, set yourself a realistic goal that allows you to do exercise you enjoy with getting weak/tired, encorporate some strength training into your routine, keep weighing and logging your food, take your measurements and for the love of good STOP getting on the scale. It sounds like that’s the part that is sabotaging you - not seeing the number change or watching it go in the wrong direction. If you’re consistant and you take measurements every few weeks eventually you will lose - who cares how much? Your clothes will fit better and you will FEEL better. That’s really all that matters. Stop getting hung up on the number. Toss the scale if you need to. I gave mine away and it’s the best thing that ever happened to me.
  • TyFit1908
    TyFit1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    TyFit1908 wrote: »
    I figured it out. I hit tare.

I weighed my food today. The biggest concern I had was cheese. I always put cheese in eggs, and I wondered just how much cheese I was putting in. Turns out I generally track a greater amount. I know everyone assumed that I was under estimating my my portions.But this is the second time I ended up with less than I track. I will keep at it and see what I learned from the food scale. But so far the lesson is I can eat a lot more than I have been

Hun, do you want to lose weight more or do you want to be right more?
    If the first - eat less.
    If the second - wrong website.

It's not about being right, but understanding. And support. Not sure if you read the previous comments in the thread, but just stating eat less, is an over simplification and awful advice.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I figured it out. I hit tare.

I weighed my food today. The biggest concern I had was cheese. I always put cheese in eggs, and I wondered just how much cheese I was putting in. Turns out I generally track a greater amount. I know everyone assumed that I was under estimating my my portions.But this is the second time I ended up with less than I track. I will keep at it and see what I learned from the food scale. But so far the lesson is I can eat a lot more than I have been

Hun, do you want to lose weight more or do you want to be right more?
    If the first - eat less.
    If the second - wrong website.

It's not about being right, but understanding. And support. Not sure if you read the previous comments in the thread, but just stating eat less, is an over simplification and awful advice.

I have. Have you?
    After all these comments you intend to up your calories. This is not the correct understanding.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Since you've already gotten plenty of advice about measuring and tracking, I thought I would offer some other suggestions based on your health situation.

Some things that can be helpful for people with PCOS and problems with insulin sensitivity: eat lower carb. You don't have to go full keto, but try restricting carbs to about 150g per day or 45g per meal. Exercise more, particularly right after meals, which will get your blood glucose levels down. Do heavy weight training. Add HIIT intervals to your regimen - I use an exercise bike but anything will work if you can do it hard and fast enough to get your exertion to max. Stop being sedentary, get your rear up and walking. Stand and do housework. Go outside and walk. Move more than you don't move. Stop thinking of this as a short term burst of exercise - this needs to be the way you plan to live the rest of your life. So find something which is a hobby or activity you enjoy. If you have family or friends who all eat every time they get together, try suggesting something else. Instead of eating with my mom, I went with her to see the house she grew up in, and places she wanted to visit.

Good luck to you!
  • TyFit1908
    TyFit1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Since you've already gotten plenty of advice about measuring and tracking, I thought I would offer some other suggestions based on your health situation.

Some things that can be helpful for people with PCOS and problems with insulin sensitivity: eat lower carb. You don't have to go full keto, but try restricting carbs to about 150g per day or 45g per meal. Exercise more, particularly right after meals, which will get your blood glucose levels down. Do heavy weight training. Add HIIT intervals to your regimen - I use an exercise bike but anything will work if you can do it hard and fast enough to get your exertion to max. Stop being sedentary, get your rear up and walking. Stand and do housework. Go outside and walk. Move more than you don't move. Stop thinking of this as a short term burst of exercise - this needs to be the way you plan to live the rest of your life. So find something which is a hobby or activity you enjoy. If you have family or friends who all eat every time they get together, try suggesting something else. Instead of eating with my mom, I went with her to see the house she grew up in, and places she wanted to visit.

Good luck to you!

That is such a struggle. I feel like gatherings often involve food and alcohol. Sometimes you feel like you have to be antisocial when you're trying to eat right. But then that's not realistic for the long term. My boyfriend and I have decided we're going to start going for hikes and bike rides, not only for my fitness but for quality time with each other. So that is definitely a goal I'm working towards
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you read the previous comments, then you would understand that I've gone extended periods of time eating 1000 calories or less all while exercising four to six times a week. Clearly this isn't healthy and not sustainable and out of frustration for the scale not moving like I wanted, I would give up. Then start all over again. I don't understand how you could read any this discussion, and give the advice to eat less.

Fortunately, I've gotten a lot of helpful and thoughtful advice from other commenters, to set realistic goals and not such drastic calorie deficits. This discussion has really made me question my relationship with food and reliance on the eat less move more attitude that has gotten me in this position. I don't think you're coming from a genuine place of wanting to help, based on the snarkiness of your comments. So I'm glad your journey has veen successful, and I wish you well

Hi again. I think I am caught up. Not everyone reads the entire thread before posting I am bad about it myself sometimes.

Glad to see you got a scale. It is funny the first couple of things you have tried were overestimated initially. Chances are you will find others that have been under. If you consistently see things that were overestimated grab a nickel and weigh it, it should weigh 5 grams.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I put your stats into a TDEE calculator and it gives you 2200 per day to maintain with a sedentary lifestyle. This would suggest that to lost 1 lb a week you would need about 1700 per day. Even if you need a little less than that due to your medical conditions, this suggests that 1000-1200 is way too low. If you were definitely eating only that much, you would be losing at a rapid rate. Please listen to the suggestions given above. Good luck to you.