Keto - breath acetone spiking to 50ppm

Options
Hi guys,

I've been on keto for about 4 months and am approaching 12kg lost. I have been testing my breath acetone twice a day using a Ketonix for the last 3 months and, after a period of struggling to get to 4ppm, I've stayed fairly consistently between 5-20ppm. In the last few weeks, however, my morning breath analysis before breakfast is spiking to >50ppm. I initially put it down to an anomaly but it's becoming consistent. Can anyone with more experience than me explain why the sudden jump?

NB. I know that some people don't agree with keto as a lifestyle choice because it's 'unhealthy'. No need to comment on my thread, as I feel better than I have in years and I'm finally losing some weight so I'm happy to take the risk.

Replies

• JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. You're clearly concerned about whether or not keto is impacting your health, but you don't want to hear that keto isn't sustainable long-term, because eventually a prolonged state of ketosis jacks the kidneys?
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't test mine but I can feel the taste in my mouth and when I chew gum and keep hydrated it goes away. Not sure if this is an acetone breath but it is annoying and my tongue's color is white.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the LCHF group here on Myfitnesspal? Good place for answers to these type things:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group