Walking Routines question

Options
So I recently started a few different "Walking fitness" workouts at home. The routines have you focus on cardio and abs, and there is a lot of foot movement. You have to keep up the quick pace while moving side to side or forwards/backwards.

My question is: Why can I not keep pace going forwards or back? I can keep the form and rhythm when told to stand in place or move right/left. Once I'm asked to take it forward/back I lose the rhythm completely and have to stop and reset myself to be in sync.

Is it better to focus on maintaining the rhythm and form, and ignore the movement forward/back? Or am I missing an essential step of the workout by ignoring that part of it?

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    As long as you're still moving - you're doing it right! I would not get too hung up on being in sync. Eventually that may come. The point is to have fun and raise your heart rate, be creative and do what feels right for you. I don't know what walking program you're doing but I have one I can recommend. Pahla Bowers youtube channel has awesome walking workouts at your own pace. She also has more advanced stuff too for when you're looking for a challenge.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the workouts for Jessica Smith. I started with a beginner 30-min full body on M/W/F and cycle on stationary bike (slowly) on off days. This week I tried switching out the cycling for cardio/ab walking workouts. Not sure what my brain's problem is with "walk it forward", so glad I can't see myself exercise sometimes!

In July I plan on starting her 4 week HIIT routine for beginners.
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith is an EXCELLENT place to start with workout videos, especially since you can progress with almost all of her videos as your fitness increases.

I agree - focus on keeping the movement going, and less about staying with her - you don't get more fit by learning dance moves; you do it by just moving. Some of the issues will be solved through familiarity with the routines. Just give yourself time.

Also, you may not be a "choreography" person - note everyone is. Some people do better with straight-up athletic moves so the HIIT routines may be more your style. Most importantly, have fun!
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Yeah I have really enjoyed starting Jess Smith. Her energy is infectious, and she doesn't give off an aura of superiority that most video trainers seem to. She managers to cheer me on, while simultaneously saying it is ok if I can't do everything now because I will build to it.

Thank you for the support ladies =) Next cardio day I will do my best to keep the exercise motion going and not worry about being in sync with her completely!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just remember where you are now. One day you will be able to keep up with the pace and you'll he thrilled when you remember how challenging it was when you started!
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    Yeah I have really enjoyed starting Jess Smith. Her energy is infectious, and she doesn't give off an aura of superiority that most video trainers seem to. She managers to cheer me on, while simultaneously saying it is ok if I can't do everything now because I will build to it.

Thank you for the support ladies =) Next cardio day I will do my best to keep the exercise motion going and not worry about being in sync with her completely!

I have been doing Jessica Smith exclusively for six months. I have NEVER been able to just use one instructor/trainer without wanting to drop kick them by week 3. Part of it is her personality, like you said, no ego, and she is utterly charming. But also, I just really like how she focuses on listening to and taking care of your body, and that she acknowledges that many people have physical limitations, and that it's ok. Once you get into her strength building videos, you'll see that her workouts are very deliberately designed so that there is no wasted time at all (and all of it in a half hour!) and you never ever ask yourself "Why in the world are we doing this move?" She tells you exactly why every time! She is my spirit animal, lol.
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Yeah, I am really surprised by the way her spirit has changed my mentality towards exercise. I NEVER thought I would enjoy exercise in any form, and yet now I have yet to skip a workout in the morning and I have actually started really researching other routines to take my exercise serious. Younger me would wonder what the heck happened =P