Food hacks or easy ways to fight hunger.

Options
phillipsaw
phillipsaw Posts: 21 Member
Theres a couple things I like to do to fight off those munchy moments. Sugar free gum is a good way to keep your mouth busy. A trail mix with an added nut that has an inedible shell, so you can't shovel it into your mouth lol. Steamed cauliflower as a base for anything; spaghetti, fajitas, sloppy Joe's. What are some tricks you know of?

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I feel hungry between meals, I start with a glass of water or some black coffee.
  • phillipsaw
    Options
    I heard of the water before meals, but never coffee.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    When I start getting hungry before lunch, I drink a cup of green tea. That's usually distracting enough. And at night when I get the munchies, that usually does the trick too.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i like to eat cucumber or celery or popcorn.
    gum makes me hungry, trail mix i find to be calorie bombs
    i've never confused thirst for hunger

sometimes i go for a walk. it distracts me
  • phillipsaw
    Options
    Nickssweetheart, your definitely right about staying busy. At one point I actually was using my xbox instead of tv for entertainment just to keep busy.
  • phillipsaw
    Options
    I've heard eating slower helps also as far as giving your stomachs enough time to tell your brain your full.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I use black coffee in the morning to suppress my appetite enough to delay breakfast and avoid having large gaps of times between meals. Call it a trick or whatever, it definitely works for me. Building up habits and routines is the best trick I've got.
  • phillipsaw
    Options
    I use black coffee in the morning to suppress my appetite enough to delay breakfast and avoid having large gaps of times between meals. Call it a trick or whatever, it definitely works for me. Building up habits and routines is the best trick I've got.

That's my number one thing, routine. If you train your brain to automatically respond in certain situations it makes diet and exercise come easy.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What works for me... coffee, water, gum, high fibre and protein foods, high volume foods, soups. Otherwise distraction, doing things that don't go great with eating.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I keep sparkling water around me at work and at home, helps keep me away from liquid calories. At work, it gives me something to do that doesn't involve eating something, too (I'm at a desk all day).

Volume of veggies to give me a plate full of food without going over my calories. Herbs and spices to keep things interesting and flavorful without high calorie sauces/butter/etc. Frozen fruit bars for a low cal dessert. I like pistachios as a work snack, as they take me awhile to eat, although I don't find the satiety any better than shelled nuts - just takes me longer to work through them LOL.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    chromium supplements killed my sweet tooth
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    hot tea
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    platejoy.com does my meal planning so it is never the same old thing.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Celery or cucumber
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Eat everything with a knife and fork or chopsticks (within reason: tomato soup is definitely off that list). You end up eating slower. The human body takes about 30 minutes to register that it's full/satisfied. You'll hit that 30 minute mark eating less food, which leads to to feel satisfied or full eating less. Then stop eating when you're good.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Things that help me stay on track:

I prefer to delay or skip breakfast as much as possible. I have found this helps my hunger stay under control through the afternoon & Evening. I dont know why, but I am more comfortable being a bit hungry in the morning before eating anything then I am if hungry hits me in the afternoon. May be because of the coffee I drink (appetite supressant) or that I am busy. Not sure. But the later I eat my first meal of the day, the less hunger I feel the rest of the day.

I also tend to be a boredom eater. If I start to feel hungry, I'll chew gum and drink some water. If this doesn't fix it, that means I wasn't bored or thirsty. I'll then have a small snack.

Other wise I try to pay attention to how I feel, and count my calories & macros. For me, if I get enough protein with my meals I find they stick around with me for quite a while. If I'm not getting enough protein I get hungry sooner.