Pyramid versus straight sets?

Options
Which is better for hypertrophy? Which do you prefer? I’ve been doing almost everything with pyramid sets over the last few months.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think it mostly just matters that you do the work and how much work you do - I don't think it matters siginificantly HOW you lift in terms of results.

However, for me personally, I like reverse pyramid. I generally push to failure which always makes me feel like I'm right on the ragged edge of my form failing at the end of my reps. If my form might fail, I would rather it was with a lighter weight than a heavier one.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I mix it up. When I was doing Strong Lifts 5x5 then I did the same weight, five sets of five reps each. When I am doing my own programing, sometimes I will do 225lbs, 245lbs, 275lbs, 245lbs 225lbs or sometimes I will do all five sets the same weight. Depends on where I am in the cycle. Or, how I am feeling that day. If I feel like a bull, I do the same weight all five sets. If I am not, then I pyramid.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It depends for me. I really do a mix though.. usually straight sets, but some pyramids, ascending sets or drop sets. I also do rest pauses and holds. I have fun with it and play around with different things.

Are you following a program? I would follow what it says but also do what you enjoy and that allows you to make the best progress over time.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Brad Schoenfeld posted this on his facebook page recently...
    Acceptance on our paper that showed a wide repetition range (15-10-5) produced almost double the gains in muscle mass compared to a narrow rep range 12-10-8 in a cohort of elderly women. Interesting potential implications for program design. Always great collaborating with Alex Silva Ribeiro and colleagues from the University of Londrina. Should be published soon; look forward to sharing and discussing the findings!

Sounds interesting but I haven't read or heard any kind of follow up to the post.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference other than what you as adhere to and how you respond.

It's about adequate volume at the correct useful intensity for each individual. What works optimal for me, might be suboptimal for you.

Personally when I do straight hypertrophy which is rare because I'm pretty big already, I end up doing as many reps/sets as possible at a RPE of 7-8 within 7-8 minutes.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Personally, I prefer doing both pyramid sets (usually compound movements) & straight sets/high reps somewhat close to failure, RPE ~7-8 (isolation/ancillary movements).

Helps ease my gym ADHD for both "lifting heavy things" & achieving a "pump". Variety is good; not all muscle groups respond well to high volume or high intensity evenly (a Keep It Simple Stupid/KISS answer...this is a very complex subject - fast/slow twitch muscle fibers).

Straight German Volume training is soooo boring (ex) 10 X 10)...not fun, just boring (sure can be effective though - I would do these for full body fat loss workouts mostly with deadlifts, front squat-press, bench press)
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it mostly just matters that you do the work and how much work you do - I don't think it matters siginificantly HOW you lift in terms of results.

However, for me personally, I like reverse pyramid. I generally push to failure which always makes me feel like I'm right on the ragged edge of my form failing at the end of my reps. If my form might fail, I would rather it was with a lighter weight than a heavier one.

This is me. I like starting heavier and working backwards with higher reps lower weight.
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It depends for me. I really do a mix though.. usually straight sets, but some pyramids, ascending sets or drop sets. I also do rest pauses and holds. I have fun with it and play around with different things.

Are you following a program? I would follow what it says but also do what you enjoy and that allows you to make the best progress over time.

I’m on sort of a custom program, mostly created by myself with the help of my trainer (benefit is I’m definitely doing what I enjoy lol). I’m doing the big lifts/stronglifts on a progressive overload plus varying lifts that I switch up week by week and HITT.

It’s exhausting though and a bit overwhelming to keep writing a schedule for myself, so I’m looking forward to switching to Strong Curves. It will actually be my first “official” program, even though I’ve been lifting for years! I’ve been stuck just doing my own thing.
  • jiggyj9
    edited May 2018
    Options
    ...and, surprisingly, only learned about the importance of sticking to a program and tracking everything recently! (For the results I want)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    jiggyj9 wrote: »
    ...and, surprisingly, only learned about the importance of sticking to a program and tracking everything recently! (For the results I want)

Honestly it makes such a difference! And you know how I feel about Strong Curves. Holy moly <3;)
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Straight sets for working sets.... what's the fun of exhausting yourself on lighter weights after all? I will reverse pyramid, as mentioned above if I'm just failing reps at the desired weight.
  • jiggyj9
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Honestly it makes such a difference! And you know how I feel about Strong Curves. Holy moly <3;)

Yes! You’re a big part of my inspiration! ❤️
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Which is better for hypertrophy? Which do you prefer? I’ve been doing almost everything with pyramid sets over the last few months.

I prefer reverse pyramid while I am bulking and straight sets for when I am cutting. The reverse pyramid for my bulking simply because that's my favorite way of training...no other reason except for that. And I stick with straight sets for when I cut simply because I always want to lift as heavy as I could when losing weight. I would like to think it helps me at least maintain my strength on a caloric deficit.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    So I actually just checked out my workout log out of curiosity, and honestly, most of my sets are linear/straight sets. However when I am trying to increase weight and I can't do it for all 3 sets, I will do an ascending set either by increasing my weight or reps with each set or on the last set. I do some pyramid sets, usually for hip thrusts, squats and kettlebell swings. But not often with the barbell as I find them very time consuming unless I am keeping weight steady. I don't do drop sets that much, except for hip thrusts..I like to do 2x5, 2x10. So I get my heavy out of the way, then get my glute pump too.

Just really interesting to see what everyone does.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    Straight sets for working sets.... what's the fun of exhausting yourself on lighter weights after all? I will reverse pyramid, as mentioned above if I'm just failing reps at the desired weight.
    fb47 wrote: »

I prefer reverse pyramid while I am bulking and straight sets for when I am cutting. The reverse pyramid for my bulking simply because that's my favorite way of training...no other reason except for that. And I stick with straight sets for when I cut simply because I always want to lift as heavy as I could when losing weight. I would like to think it helps me at least maintain my strength on a caloric deficit.

The same except for the few things I do at heavy enough weights that a significant ramp-up is needed to keep my aging joints from disintegration. ;)