Really new to "Pescetarian Diet" Tips/Ideas?

So I am like really new to the whole pescetarian diet. Are there any tips and/or food ideas anyone would like to share? I am very excited about trying this out! If u have done this or currently are...how did/do u like it?

Replies

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited May 2018
    What BZAH said.
    I'm not a pescetarian, but i love me some seafood! some of my favorite calorie-conscious recipes, aside from just the standard fish/strach/green:

1) Creole shrimp (1 lb raw, peeled & sprinkled with salt, red pepper & paprika) with okra (1 lb sliced, frozen or fresh), sweet corn (1 ear or 1 cup frozen) and shallots (1/2 cup minced/1 large) Saute veggies in 1 tbs oil, add 1 tsp/cube soup base, 1 tbs tomato paste, 1-2 tbs water. Add shrimp, cook thru & serve

2) Cioppino http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/cioppino-seafood-soup-with-fennel-and-garlic-244724 I use a lot less oil and a lot more fennel, and sometimes add okra as well to thicken the broth. My favorite part about this recipe is that it can be as simple or as fancy as you want it to be! Throw in lobster, king crab, &/or sea scallops to make it 'fancy' for company; when it's just me and my husband (read: cheaping out) i use fresh mussels or canned clams, whatever white fish that's on sale, and either shrimp or calamari. As long as you have a mollusk (for the juice), and at least a fish and a shellfish or cephalopod, you'll hit all the right flavors & textures :)

3) Seafood quesadillas: Chop up 1 shallot, mince 2 tsp capers, julienne 1/2 small yellow pepper, cook & chop 8 shrimp, drain 2 cans of crabmeat. You'll also need 6 small or 3 large corn or flour tortillas, monterey or pepperjack cheese to taste, and optional pickled jalapenos, green salsa, plain greek yogurt/sour cream &/or guacamole.
    Saute shallots, pepper, and capers in a tsp of oil with salt & pepper, remove from pan & wipe out pan). Mix crab, shrimp & veggies together in a bowl. On Med-low heat lay down a tortilla & fill HALF with fish mixture, cheese & jalapenos, if using. Once cheese starts to melt, fold over bare tortilla half, flip & brown for another minute. Repeat with remaining ingeredients, serve with green salsa, plain greek yogurt & guac.

4) Crab rangoon stuffed peppers! Heat oven to 375F, line a sheet pan with foil & spray. 1 bag mini peppers, cut in half lengthwise & seeded. 4 oz lite cream cheese or neufchatel, 4 oz imitation krab, minced, 1 tbs sweet chili sauce, 2 green onions minced, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, & 2 tbs breadcrumbs (i like panko). Mix crab, sauce, neufchatel, green onion & garlic powder in a bowl. Fill peppers with crab mixture & roll filling side only in breadcrumbs. Lay filling-side up on baking sheet. Bake 18 minutes. Comes to like 40 cals per pep, so these make a great snack!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited May 2018
    Becoming a vegetarian who also eats fish will give you more variety if that makes any sense. My wife is a pescatarian and eats fish two or three times a week at ,ost; you're less likely to get burned out on it and still enjoy it if it isn't too frequent.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My husband has eaten pescetarian for almost 20 years now. He mostly eats vegan & vegetarian food though. I wouldn't even say his main protein sources are fish/seafood the majority of the time as it can be difficult to source quality items and can put groceries on the expensive side if you're eating fresh fish and shrimp daily. He cooks our meals and we eat a lot of beans, lentils, chickpeas, TVP, tofu, etc. (I'm an omnivore but mostly eat beef or chicken in restaurants, not at home) He also eats tempeh and seitan but I'm not a big fan.

If it interests you, I'd recommend checking out lots of great vegan recipes (Isa Chandra Moskowitz's "Veganomicon" is a fantastic source)...the thing about vegan recipes is you can sub or add in fish, seafood, cheese, etc...but it doesn't always work the other way around (if you use a cookbook with meat recipes using beef, poultry, pork, etc)

Another good thing for him is that it really opens up his options when dining out, since he does eat fish/seafood, eggs & dairy. Friends of ours went vegan recently and I'm certainly not knocking their choice but dining out with them I realized just how many things my husband can eat that they cannot.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Ive been pescatarian for 20 years now. I eat seafood once or twice a week. My favorite is a really well cooked piece of salmon over a green salad with a slightly sweet (aka mango) viniagrette dressing. Of course, boiled shrimp, cold, with cocktail sauce or fish tacos are also great. The rest of the week, I eat vegetarian and use dairy products, tofu, beans, eggs, peanut butter and peanut butter powder (PB2) to meet my protein requirements. I take a B-12 supplement as well. The most important factor to weight loss, however, is calorie intake. I have been (and I have met some) very overweight vegetarians. Donuts, candy bars, ice cream and margaritas are all technically vegetarian foods too.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Becoming a vegetarian who also eats fish will give you more variety if that makes any sense. My wife is a pescatarian and eats fish two or three times a week at ,ost; you're less likely to get burned out on it and still enjoy it if it isn't too frequent.

My experience with Pescatarian is the occasional theme week I challenge myself with to push myself outside of my normal eating patterns. I do 6 days consisting of 3 vegetarian and 3 vegetarian + fish. While my knowledge is limited I can tell you that the above makes perfect sense. If I didn't already know how to satisfy my nutritional requirements without fish it would be a miserable week.

Eating this way has nothing to do with weight loss. I lose at the same rate. I only do it (occasionally) because I enjoy it and it expands my variety.
  • KatyCSTinPNW
    KatyCSTinPNW Posts: 28 Member
    Pescatarian here (fish only). Although I'd say we are more vegetarian then anything. My diary is public if you want to see any ideas.

For instance, tonight we had Protein Pasta with veggies.

Once I hit my goal weight and switch to maintenance, we will still be eating almost the same with slight differences, say more cheese.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited May 2018
    I have a similar eating plan, I only eat fish, no other meat and I don't eat dairy either. My diaries open for any ideas.
    I do love Quorn products for meat alternatives.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    I was a pescatarian between being a vegetarian for several years and currently for the past nearly four years also eat poultry. As a pescatarian I was mostly vegetarian, it took me a long time before I would cook fish inside. Are you adding fish to your diet or eliminating land animals? My favorite fish are salmon and halibut seasoned simply with salt and pepper and served with sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts or asparagus. Shrimp are also great to have in a stir fry or in tacos. I don’t mind if the shrimp have been frozen, they thaw and cook fast.
  • KatyCSTinPNW
    KatyCSTinPNW Posts: 28 Member
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I have a similar eating plan, I only eat fish, no other meat and I don't eat dairy either. My diaries open for any ideas.
    I do love Quorn products for meat alternatives.

I found the Quorn ground crumble to give me terrible stomach aches. As in, I was be awake all night in excruciating pain. I didn’t need the restroom however. Maybe gas/bloating? I haven’t tried it since I figured out it was that.