Proper Plank Form?

Options
I am going to start planking and I'm a true beginner so I've watched several tutorials but they differ on one thing.... some show the back straight and parallel, some show it dipped inwards, and some show an arched back.
I would just like MFP opinions here because I don't want an injury and I also want it effective.
P.S. I'm talking about forearm planks not pushup hold planks.
Thank you.

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be dipped or arched, or butt sticking out. However some people are built differently so people with larger butts might look like they are arching.

Usually an instructor tells you to imagine being a board with your shoulders over your elbows, don't drop your head, pull your abs inward and hold them tight. Try to hold everything firm but not so tight that you are straining
    also imagine a string is tied to your head and your heels and it is being pulled taught.

For beginners I see errors usually in sticking their butts up, your hips generally will be lower than you think, dropping their chin in too much, and not keep their shoulders over their elbows.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    56bhkwbg7fld.jpg

two differently shaped people doing good form planks**

*I'm not a fitness coach, so everything I typed should be taken with a grain of salt or confirmed by someone who is a trainer. I have been to years of barre/body weight classes and have been corrected by instructors
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    56bhkwbg7fld.jpg

two differently shaped people doing good form planks**

*I'm not a fitness coach, so everything I typed should be taken with a grain of salt or confirmed by someone who is a trainer. I have been to years of barre/body weight classes and have been corrected by instructors

I'm not a trainer either, but the one on the left looks better to me. The one on the right looks photoshopped!
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that there should be a slight arch like an upside down V, achieved by having your bum slightly higher. This automatically engages/contracts the abs but also takes pressure off the lower back. Like this you don't need to squeeze your abs because they are automatically tightened/contracted. Try it and see how it feels.

Whichever method you adopt you want to make sure that your lower back isn't taking the pressure/weight. You can always start on your knees and progress from there to supporting your whole body.