A good coach in the UK..female only

Options
As the title suggests, I am looking for a good coach who can help me set my macros and just generally help me out to lose weight. I’m making so many blunders and it’s disheartening by to see the scale weight go down despite sticking to plan. I must be doing something wrong!

Can anyone recommend a good one that won’t break the bank?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Macros are more for personal satiety and nutrition, weight loss is down to having a calorie deficit.

How long have you been using MFP and why do you think you are making blunders?

Weight loss isn't linear and you won't always see the scale go down. If you fill in your details honestly and accurately with a suitable rate of loss chosen and stick to your calorie deficit by logging your food properly (see the Most Helpful post pinned at the top of this board and at the top of the Getting Started board) you will lose weight.

r300ac6jmj1r.jpg
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are you having issues with, what are your goals? Are you looking for meal plans, training, coaching and accountability or just someone to steer you in the right direction in terms of macros and weight loss?
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I’m just fed up and so demotivated at the moment. A few months ago, I was fed up that despite eating at a deficit, I wasn’t losing any weight and I was definitely eating at a deficit. I decided then that as I had under 10 pounds to lose, I would try to slowly increase my calories to reverse any metabolic damage I felt my low calories may have caused. All the while, I was lifting heavy and not weighing on the scales.

I was feeling fantastic for a few months and felt slimmer so I decided to increase calories again. I went from 1700 to 2100 over the span of 2 months, I felt like I was starting to gain weight and my clothes started to feel tight so I got onto the scales to realise I had gained 10 pounds. This was 3 weeks ago. I got stricter and reduced my calories to 1800 and cleaned up my diet in the process while continuing lifting heavy and added 10-15 min of hiit after each workout 2-3x a week.

The first week, I lost 3.4 pounds. Last week, I lost 0.4 and this week marked the end of totm and I regained the 0.4. I’m just fed up. I’m putting in a lot of effort and not getting much return. I’m taking measurements and no change there either.

I’m clearly doing something wrong but don’t know what, hence searching for a coach or dietician or someone to help me out.

Sorry for rambling. Just very annoyed. It is currently Ramadan and I’m eating nothing I processed and can’t manage anything over 1600 calories. Meticulously logging everything on mfp and i am also working out lifting 3x a week and know that I won’t lose anything. No idea what on Earth is going on
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    Just to add, I am killing it in the gym every workout. No slacking. I’m 34/f/5’ 7 and 154 pounds currently
  • sardelsa
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You lost 3.4 lbs total in 3 weeks since you started cutting your calories, that sounds right on track to me. What makes you think you are doing something wrong, unless I am misunderstanding your post.

Keep in mind, weight loss is not linear ... fluctuations are normal, especially being a woman. Maybe start tracking your weight with a trend weight app if not already.

Oh and to add.. measurements take time to go down especially since you don't have a lot of weight to lose.

Also what made you think you had metabolic damage in the first place? Unless you have prolonged periods of very very low calories (as in an eating disorder) or you compete and get to ultra lean levels with low calories, your metabolism is most likely fine.

Not related to your weight loss but more your goals perhaps.. HIIT is fine to incorporate in your routine but if you are able to do it after a lifting session, I'm not so sure if you are pushing yourself enough with your lifting sessions, or else it is more interval cardio training. Either way just make sure it is not affecting your recovery.. maybe think about doing it on separate days
    Again not to do with weight loss but if your goal is to cut/lean down/preserve muscle and lower your bodyfat% you may not be doing it in the most optimal way.
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You lost 3.4 lbs total in 3 weeks since you started cutting your calories, that sounds right on track to me. What makes you think you are doing something wrong, unless I am misunderstanding your post.

Keep in mind, weight loss is not linear ... fluctuations are normal, especially being a woman. Maybe start tracking your weight with a trend weight app if not already.

Also what made you think you had metabolic damage in the first place? Unless you have prolonged periods of very very low calories (as in an eating disorder) or you compete and get to ultra lean levels with low calories, your metabolism is most likely fine.

Not related to your weight loss but more your goals perhaps.. HIIT is fine to incorporate in your routine but if you are able to do it after a lifting session, I'm not so sure if you are pushing yourself enough with your lifting sessions, or else it is more interval cardio training. Either way just make sure it is not affecting your recovery.. maybe think about doing it on separate days
    Again not to do with weight loss but if your goal is to cut/lean down/preserve muscle and lower your bodyfat% you may not be doing it in the most optimal way.

I was eating at 1700 for a month and didn’t lose anything. On the contrary I gained some weight. That’s with logging everything that passed my mouth. I did some research and was told not to weigh on the scales but slowly increase calories to around maintenance so that what I did.

I just feel that after losing the initial water weight of 3.4 pounds, I would continue to have small losses to reflect my deficit made through exercise and diet. I am starving on a night and my workouts are very tough. I’m at the gym for an hour and spend 50 minutes doing heavy supersets, total body. I am battered by the time it gets to cardio but force the stair master following a 10 min hiit cardio video on YouTube. Heart rate is hovering around 90% of max heart rate during the cardio.

Maybe I should just be patient. Maybe I’m not eating anywhere near enough. I get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night yet after my workout in the morning, I am lightheaded the rest of the day and feel like I need to be eating more but am scared to as I will likely gain fat. I wanted to speak to a dietician so they can see exactly what I do in the gym and what my diet is like and can advise me where I am going wrong etc
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Hey I’m also fasting for Ramadhan and I’m from the UK. I think you’re changing things too often and too much. That’s exactly what I was doing up until a few weeks ago. Now I’ve not got loads of weight to lose, currently 153lbs at 5’ 4” so about 24-28lbs depending on where I feel comfortable. With such less weight to lose...it’s gonna take time. Weight loss is like a science experiment. Too many variables can skew the results.

This is what I would recommend:

1. Stick to a plan for atleast 4-6 weeks before changing anything
    2. Find what macros satiate you. For me it’s more fat and protein (100-110g) and less carbs (100-150g). For you it might be more protein and carbs.

Ramadhan is a good time to deload the muscles too. I’m doing lighter weight lifting 3 times a week, walking 6 times a week to keep active and yoga/Pilates every day. Two HIIT sessions if I’m up for it. Periodisation is the fancy word for using different weight every few weeks.

In terms of the light headed feeling you might have a deficiency so speak to your doctor. Do you feel better when you eat more? It could be that you need to eat more calories.
  • sardelsa
    Options

I was eating at 1700 for a month and didn’t lose anything. On the contrary I gained some weight. That’s with logging everything that passed my mouth. I did some research and was told not to weigh on the scales but slowly increase calories to around maintenance so that what I did.

I just feel that after losing the initial water weight of 3.4 pounds, I would continue to have small losses to reflect my deficit made through exercise and diet. I am starving on a night and my workouts are very tough. I’m at the gym for an hour and spend 50 minutes doing heavy supersets, total body. I am battered by the time it gets to cardio but force the stair master following a 10 min hiit cardio video on YouTube. Heart rate is hovering around 90% of max heart rate during the cardio.

Maybe I should just be patient. Maybe I’m not eating anywhere near enough. I get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night yet after my workout in the morning, I am lightheaded the rest of the day and feel like I need to be eating more but am scared to as I will likely gain fat. I wanted to speak to a dietician so they can see exactly what I do in the gym and what my diet is like and can advise me where I am going wrong etc

A few things may have been happening. It is possible you may not have been as accurate as you thought with your logging, either with weighing/measuring, leaving out things or incorrect items you chose from the database. You may have been overestimating your calorie burn. Also with all that exercise you are doing will come major water retention... not only for muscle repair but due to stress. That can definitely mess with the scale, even for weeks at a time.

Based on what you are saying you it sounds like you are really burning yourself out and overdoing the exercise. You do not need to do all that exercise, in fact, you could be affecting not only your recovery but your non-exercise activity as well. So basically you do this extra cardio but because you are so tired you sloth through the rest of your day which can have a very significant affect on your daily activities and as a result lowering your total daily calories.

Definitely be patient, stick with a program. And if you think it will help stick with your goals long term and give you direction, maybe a coach is a great idea for you. Unfortunately I do not know any females based in the UK, but do shop around and do your research.
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Hey I’m also fasting for Ramadhan and I’m from the UK. I think you’re changing things too often and too much. That’s exactly what I was doing up until a few weeks ago. Now I’ve not got loads of weight to lose, currently 153lbs at 5’ 4” so about 24-28lbs depending on where I feel comfortable. With such less weight to lose...it’s gonna take time. Weight loss is like a science experiment. Too many variables can skew the results.

This is what I would recommend:

1. Stick to a plan for atleast 4-6 weeks before changing anything
    2. Find what macros satiate you. For me it’s more fat and protein (100-110g) and less carbs (100-150g). For you it might be more protein and carbs.

Ramadhan is a good time to deload the muscles too. I’m doing lighter weight lifting 3 times a week, walking 6 times a week to keep active and yoga/Pilates every day. Two HIIT sessions if I’m up for it. Periodisation is the fancy word for using different weight every few weeks.

In terms of the light headed feeling you might have a deficiency so speak to your doctor. Do you feel better when you eat more? It could be that you need to eat more calories.
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Hey I’m also fasting for Ramadhan and I’m from the UK. I think you’re changing things too often and too much. That’s exactly what I was doing up until a few week

I have had my bloods taken and I am not deficient in anything. I thibk you’re right though, I may need to be consuming more food. It’s inspiring to see another person is working out during Ramadan. I get looked at like I’m done dort of freak of nature when people find out I still lift weights during Ramadan!
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options

A few things may have been happening. It is possible you may not have been as accurate as you thought with your logging, either with weighing/measuring, leaving out things or incorrect items you chose from the database. You may have been overestimating your calorie burn. Also with all that exercise you are doing will come major water retention... not only for muscle repair but due to stress. That can definitely mess with the scale, even for weeks at a time.

Based on what you are saying you it sounds like you are really burning yourself out and overdoing the exercise. You do not need to do all that exercise, in fact, you could be affecting not only your recovery but your non-exercise activity as well. So basically you do this extra cardio but because you are so tired you sloth through the rest of your day which can have a very significant affect on your daily activities and as a result lowering your total daily calories.

Definitely be patient, stick with a program. And if you think it will help stick with your goals long term and give you direction, maybe a coach is a great idea for you. Unfortunately I do not know any females based in the UK, but do shop around and do your research.

Thanks for this. I agree that I’m being impatient and maybe just need to calm down a little. It’s jist very frustrating. I’ll tone down my workouts do I’m not struggling the rest of the day, and keep at it for a few more week. Hopefully, I’ll report fat loss!

Thanks for all your replies. You guys rock ❤️