Counting, exercising NOT losing

2»

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    5’7” currently 165 lbs goal 155 I try to stay under 2000 cal pms makes it very hard with sugar cravings

Your stats are the same as mine. I'm set at 1510 (to lose .5 lb a week) and exercising, so I can get extra calories. I'm 50 and losing steadily. Slowly, but steadily. I think 2000 is too high.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I’ve been treading dietary waters for a long time, bottom line not only im not losing weight but I am quick to gain. I ran some tests everything is normal. I get tired quickly, what worked just a couple of years ago doesn’t seem to anymore. I was told to basically accept the changes that come with age (40) am I missing something? I started talking vitamins which help.

What did the tests include? Despite having been anemic for 30 years, I have to specifically request that my iron levels be tested when I get routine blood work. When my anemia is not properly managed, I have crippling fatigue. Lots of other things can cause fatigue as well.

When I was in my 30s I was told the same nonsense about age. Turned out the building I worked in had toxic mold. So much for the issues I was experiencing being age related >.<
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    You're not in calorie deficit. Most people underestimate the calories they are consuming and overestimate the calories they are burning through exercise. Also - if you're not consistent, you're not going to lose.

The age thing - menopause is a *kitten*! All people, but especially women lose muscle mass as we age. Muscle keeps our metabolism fired up. That being said. NO, you should not except it's an age thing. Goals can be achieved at any age! I'll be 60 in a few months, 5'7" and weigh 148, and have maintained this weight for years. It takes hard work and consistency, I can't stress that enough. My advice - figure out a calorie deficit that works for you (I'm usually anywhere from 1500-1900), stay in the deficit and LIFT WEIGHTS/STRENGTH TRAIN. Strength training is an aging woman's best friend! I will always be an unashamed cardio bunny. But I make sure I get my strength training in! And I have to say it one more time. Menopause IS a *kitten*, makes packing on those pounds easy. But it is still possible to reach your goals!
  • Songbird61377
    Songbird61377 Posts: 54 Member
    I do well during the day, as dinner time approaches things get difficult (emotional/stress eating has sneaked into my life so yes I believe I keep eating too much)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I do well during the day, as dinner time approaches things get difficult (emotional/stress eating has sneaked into my life so yes I believe I keep eating too much)

Do you track that emotional/stress eating?

I'd say start there if you don't. See precisely what it is you're eating in a day.
  • Songbird61377
    Songbird61377 Posts: 54 Member
    And there’s the fatigue that complicates things getting through the exercise session is very hard
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    And there’s the fatigue that complicates things getting through the exercise session is very hard

what sort of exercise? Perhaps something lower intensity or lower impact and build up to harder sessions as your stamina, strength and endurance increase?
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Maybe just try re-entering your stats and goals in MFP and see what calorie target it gives you? 2000 sounds a bit high, but that depends on your general activity level.

Also, you don't have a lot to lose, so it will probably be quite slow progress (that's what I'm finding anyway).

Regarding energy levels - what else is going on with you? I was finding myself really exhausted after very stressful period of my life, and was also not sleeping well. I take multi vitamins now and an iron tablet, but the biggest help for me (age 40) has been exercising more, which gives me some precious time out from all the stress, plus also helps me sleep better.
    The fact that it also gives me a few extra calories to play with helps too.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Do you weigh and log EVERYTHING? Guaranteed that it's why you're not losing... you're eating more than you think.

About being tired, do you get enough sleep?

Your 3 lb gains after overeating 500 calories are from water weight - it would take 15000 extra calories to gain 3 lbs of fat (and really, if your goal is to lose 1 lb a week, you'd just be eating at maintenance with those extra 500 calories). Obviously, if you're eating more than that, it can just wipe out your weekly deficit anyway.

And depending on your activity, 2000 calories is probably just too much in the first place (especially if you're not accurate in your logging).