mystery forearm pain on elliptical

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
Trying to figure out what I need to change here. I've been using an elliptical for most of my cardio for like 7 years now with no problems. Just for the past couple months, my forearms will hurt while using the elliptical. Not in the carpal tunnel region, it's on the outside of the arm, the thickest part of it. I have no idea what kind of weirdness has brought this on. Ideas anyone?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    are you holding onto the bars and squeezing them? those are muscles used for grip
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Tennis elbow. Not uncommon when you do repetitive motion for years. Age just catching up with you. Not a jab, it's just a common reality.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Yes, I hold onto the handles and pull them rather than doing the elliptical as legs-only. I'm turning 50 in September, so yeah, it may just be I'm getting older and more effed up lol. I suppose I should switch off the elliptical with the stationary bike every other workout to get my arms to calm down. In general, the fitter I am the less things hurt, but every so often some body part decides to be a pest.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Do all of the ellipticals at your gym have the moving handles? At my gym some do, some don't so I alternate. I like the ones without moving arms and I don't hold on at all. It works the core and gives the arms a break.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    This gym has all the same type of elliptical, which has both kinds of handle: moving and nonmoving. I could switch to the nonmoving handles. It feels so odd to me, but yeah I could do it. Not holding on might result in me falling over lol. I am a bit too clumsy. I saw someone divert their attention for a sec, rocket off the back of a treadmill and barely stay on their feet yesterday. :X