Catcalling with a honk and wave?

Options
Ae_heart
Ae_heart Posts: 43 Member
I know i'm not the only one who's been honked and waved at by truckers or other drivers. My instant reaction is "oh crap what's wrong with my car? Is my trunk open? Is my tire flat, oh lord I hope it's not flat", but then I look up and see them with a big ol' smile just waving at me, and it weirds me out every time.

I don't understand this. It's not like being out in public where you can chat with the person after grabbing their attention. Instead, they get a glance and a very confused, very awkward face, that lasts all of a minute.

It seems to happen to a lot of girls and probably even to guys (though I haven't heard any first hand stories from guys... yet).

It feels different than being cat called by a car while walking (I personally equate those with a young guy or girl just trying to be cool or funny with their friends by making a scene).

A lot of times I've found that these honk and wavers (especially when they're truckers) are alone in their car or truck, with no buddies to be 'cool' infront of.

So, out of pure curiosity, what do you think the logic of honking and waving to another driver is... or is there none at all besides just that? What are your experiences?

Replies

• Ae_heart
    Options
    It's the best we've come up with so far.

Lol! With the way tech is going we'll be able to send messages to each other with just a glance in no time.
  • Ae_heart
    Options
    I never get this in the car. Sometimes people honk at me on waze but that’s it.

However whether in a car or me walking down the street I wouldn’t like it. There’s not much about me that can appeal to someone while sitting in my Jeep.

I disagree! You would definietly catch an eye.
    Maybe you never noticed? Which is probably for the better because it's really awkward haha
  • Ae_heart
    Options
    One time I was driving back home from a conference I attended in Toronto, this group of guys kept honking at me on the highway. In an attempt to avoid them I got off on an on route stop, thinking they would continue driving ahead of me. Nope, they followed me and attempted to get me to join them at a frat house in London. I laughed and told them I was a mother of three children and my family was waiting for me back home. Even if I was interested and available, I found it strange and scary that they followed me. I would never have gone regardless of the circumstances.

Omg that's scary!
  • Ae_heart
    Options
    I get honked at all the time by cars. I got honked at by the highway 30 minutes ago. Dude rolled down the windows and said niceeeeeeeeeeeee

I know its not the same.

lol what happened?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    ‘You like that butt, don’t you. Yeah you do’

no ?

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    khalissay wrote: »
    I know i'm not the only one who's been honked and waved at by truckers or other drivers. My instant reaction is "oh crap what's wrong with my car? Is my trunk open? Is my tire flat, oh lord I hope it's not flat", but then I look up and see them with a big ol' smile just waving at me, and it weirds me out every time.

I don't understand this. It's not like being out in public where you can chat with the person after grabbing their attention. Instead, they get a glance and a very confused, very awkward face, that lasts all of a minute.

It seems to happen to a lot of girls and probably even to guys (though I haven't heard any first hand stories from guys... yet).

It feels different than being cat called by a car while walking (I personally equate those with a young guy or girl just trying to be cool or funny with their friends by making a scene).

A lot of times I've found that these honk and wavers (especially when they're truckers) are alone in their car or truck, with no buddies to be 'cool' infront of.

So, out of pure curiosity, what do you think the logic of honking and waving to another driver is... or is there none at all besides just that? What are your experiences?

MessyBadBeardeddragon-max-1mb.gif
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Never happened to me. Maybe it depends on your location but I have never witnessed this where I live.
  • Ae_heart
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Never happened to me. Maybe it depends on your location but I have never witnessed this where I live.

Hmm I guess that could be! I've experienced this in multiple provinces but it was the worst when I drove down the coastal states to Carolina. I was with my sister at the time and it was no joke every other trucker. My parents were in a vehicle in front of us and they ended up calling my cell to check what was going on.
  • xOlaf
    xOlaf Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    LOL it never happens to me. I hate being catcalled, it makes me extremely uncomfortable. Idk why guys do it. I've been approached several times by guys in grocery stores that asked if I had a significant other or if I wanted to go on a date, but they were discrete about it and I'd always tell them I have a bf before walking away. It's not true, but I notice that it's the best way to let someone down and cut the convo. short. I don't mind those as it probably took a lot of courage for them to even ask, but the catcalling, I just ignore and try to run from it.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    khalissay wrote: »
    I get honked at all the time by cars. I got honked at by the highway 30 minutes ago. Dude rolled down the windows and said niceeeeeeeeeeeee

I know its not the same.

lol what happened?

My cars get a lot of attention. Every time i drive i get at least 5 people pulling me over complimenting it. Even had cops pull me over. Its a dick magnet lol. Sometimes a chick magnet

Yeah I get a lot of girls rolling up on me saying things like, "I bet that rides nice"......funny thing is usually when I'm walking down the street in my bike shorts ;)
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Someone honking usually gets a middle finger from me.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    One time I was driving back home from a conference I attended in Toronto, this group of guys kept honking at me on the highway. In an attempt to avoid them I got off on an on route stop, thinking they would continue driving ahead of me. Nope, they followed me and attempted to get me to join them at a frat house in London. I laughed and told them I was a mother of three children and my family was waiting for me back home. Even if I was interested and available, I found it strange and scary that they followed me. I would never have gone regardless of the circumstances.

Something very similar happened to me as a teen. But the guy was by himself and he continued to follow me off my exit. I refused to go home and show this creep where i lived so i kept driving and ignoring till he gave up. It was very scary.