Why are slim people slim?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    There is some research that talks about active people partitioning nutrients better.
    What does this even mean? If you take up all the nutrition in food, you'd weigh more, not less.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/calorie-partitioning-part-1.html/
    Its lyle McDonald talking about insulin sensitivity. I was speaking of leanness btw.

So what controls insulin sensitivity? As always, a host of factors. One is simply genetic, folks can vary 10 fold in their sensitivity to insulin. Another is diet. Diets high in carbohydrates (especially highly refined carbohydrates), saturated fats and low in fiber tend to impair insulin sensitivity. Diets with lowered carbohydrates (or less refined sources), healthier fats (fish oils, monounsaturated fats like olive oil) and higher fiber intakes invariably improve insulin sensitivity.

Another major factor is activity which influences insulin sensitivity in a number of ways. The first is that muscular contraction itself improves insulin sensitivity, facilitating glucose uptake into the cell. Glycogen depletion (remember this, it’s important) improves insulin sensitivity as well.

So what else controls the P-ratio. As it turns out, the primary predictor of P-ratio during over- and under-feeding is bodyfat percentage. The more bodyfat you carry, the more fat you tend to lose when you diet (meaning less muscle) and the leaner you are, the less fat you tend to lose (meaning more muscle). The same goes in reverse: naturally lean (but NOT folks who have dieted to lean) individuals tend to gain more muscle and less fat when they overfeed and fatter individuals tend to gain more fat and less muscle when they overfeed.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 870 Member
    Very interesting.

Me.
    Ages
    0 to 15 underweight because I really didn't care about food & only ate when I needed to.
    15 to 35 overweight after meeting my Italian wife & eating too much high Carb Italian foods.
    35 to 49 Yoyo dieted from obese back to normal weight several times & didn't really know why.

Fast forward to today. Since January of this year did my research & studied the science behind Macro's and foods to completely remove from my diet because frankly they will kill me some-day.
    Bingo it's like a light switch went on.
    Now I'm back to a normal BMI level & completely understand how I did it & how to maintain it.

Knowledge is power!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2018
    I’d like to watch this video sometime when I’m not working :( I find it interesting how people maintain a healthy weight without trying.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I will admit to not watching the video but just reading the comments. If it is talking about slim people who have been slim all their lives, it's interesting but not really applicable to most of us. I think once you get on the diet bandwagon you ruin the intuitive relationship with food. I know I did when I was 15. And have yo yo'd every since.

Some folks who have been maintaining for years can get back there but many like me will probably never get there. Yes - we can form better habits and I have seen my activity levels increase in general in maintenance but I am sad to say,I am still obsessed with food and the scale and probably always will be.

I'd encourage you to watch the video. Yes, these people have been slim all their lives, which means that a lot of the behaviors that keep their CI = CO are unconscious. But just because we don't do these things unconsciously doesn't mean we can't learn anything from it. We don't do it automatically but we can learn to do it, which means it can become a habit.

I completely agree. It's entirely possible to mimic these behaviors. For example, I may not reduce my food intake unconsciously after a heavy day, but I can do it consciously. I may not move a lot without noticing throughout the day, but I can move deliberately.

Yup!

Case in point: I was on vacation Tuesday and Wednesday last week. I ate *more* than TDEE on both days.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday? I actually wasn't all that hungry, and ate under TDEE, by about the same amount that I was over.

My moving weight average? I've lost 1.2 pounds from last Tuesday until today. And that's *with* having cyclical water weight right now.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Very interesting.

Me.
    Ages
    0 to 15 underweight because I really didn't care about food & only ate when I needed to.
    15 to 35 overweight after meeting my Italian wife & eating too much high Carb Italian foods.
    35 to 49 Yoyo dieted from obese back to normal weight several times & didn't really know why.

Fast forward to today. Since January of this year did my research & studied the science behind Macro's and foods to completely remove from my diet because frankly they will kill me some-day.
    Bingo it's like a light switch went on.
    Now I'm back to a normal BMI level & completely understand how I did it & how to maintain it.

Knowledge is power!!

Murderous foods... Yikes! I hope my loaf of bread doesn't kill me in my sleep :neutral:

I mean, some loafs make really awesome baseball bats. A little doughy in the middle, but a good sharp crust can do some damage.