Runners runs...

Options
Avidkeo
Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
Hey all,

I regularly run around 4-5k 2-3 times a week. I have signed up for a half marathon in November, so am starting to do some proper training. for the next few weeks I'm going to do a 5-10k program (designed for those who can run 5k regularly to increase to 10k), then I am jumping into a 12 week half marathon training program. BUT I have found in the past that when running longer runs, around the 7-8k mark, I start getting cramps in my abdomen, usually followed by a bit of very loose stools when I finish the run. The cramps have been bad enough that I have stopped a run.

Any advice? the best some friends had was have a banana before running.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Definitely look at what you're eating in the 24 hours before your long runs, and make sure you're not running too soon after eating.
  • mulch1999
    mulch1999 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Stick to low fiber and starches before a brisk or long run. Hydrate well and avoid NSAIDS which can both decrease flow to the gut and cause irritation and loose stools. Can even cause runners colitis and bleeding which I have had in the past. And avoid too much simple sugars, like energy gels which can cause an osmotic diarrhea.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always drink a couple cups of coffee (but no food) before running, and I poop like clockwork in the a.m. pre-run lol. I don’t typically have an issue of needing a bathroom mid run.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee but I used to have a VERY small bowl of a simple cereal (like 1/2 serving of honey nut cheerios) with 1% milk about 30-45min before my training runs. It would get things moving and I'd be able to go before the run. Other than that, make sure you know where public use toilets are on your route. I agree with making sure you get plenty of fluids, especially to make up for anything you might be losing with loose stools.

Usually around the 7/8 mi mark, I start daydreaming about chicken bacon salads... mmm
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Yeah I always drink a couple cups of coffee (but no food) before running, and I poop like clockwork in the a.m. pre-run lol. I don’t typically have an issue of needing a bathroom mid run.

Same 08:15 every morning, Works wonders!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »

Same 08:15 every morning, Works wonders!

Oh I wish I was this regular! haha.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    thanks guys, Ill have a look at what I am eating the day before. If I do an early run I usually go on an empty stomach (like 530am) but on weekends I usually go about an hour after eating breakfast, so maybe something there could do with improving. I have a few months before the run to figure things out.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    thanks guys, Ill have a look at what I am eating the day before. If I do an early run I usually go on an empty stomach (like 530am) but on weekends I usually go about an hour after eating breakfast, so maybe something there could do with improving. I have a few months before the run to figure things out.

I can guarantee that I'd be dying if I ran an hour after breakfast but the runners trots are far more common that you'd imagine. Part of it is just the acclimation process, you can train yourself to go before heading out the door (even then there have been occasions when a port-a-pottie is a welcome sight) and some runners will take imodium before their long runs.

Good luck with your HM training!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Plan routes also where you might have facilities available. Btw, this is very common.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yep it’s all about food and training your body. Pay super close attention to everything you eat the day before a *ahem* code brown and look for commonalities. (Dairy, spicy food, extra cheese, not enough protein) whatever the pattern is avoid it before a long run. Then change NOTHING before your racer. Seriously don’t change a single thing before a big run or your body will make sure all your systems are running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thus thread reminds me of a half I did a couple of years ago.

I got talking to a girl in the queue for the toilets pre race, she said she was having a terrible morning, I asked why and she said 'I haven't poohed yet...'

:laugh:
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Whew glad its common! Haha. I usually do most of my running midday but this half starts at 730am so will definitely get it figured out
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    BUT I have found in the past that when running longer runs, around the 7-8k mark, I start getting cramps in my abdomen, usually followed by a bit of very loose stools when I finish the run. The cramps have been bad enough that I have stopped a run.

For something around the 7-8k mark it's unusual to get running related cramp and GI discomfort. The usual causes for cramp are either a salt deficiency of dehydration. For a short run the answer becomes either intensity of your diet. Given the time taken for either hydration or fuel to have an effect anything taken during the run won't kick in until you've finished.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    That’s how I feel when I run on an empty stomach or don’t eat enough before a run.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    When I used to run distances I had this too, I'd just make sure my routes took me past toilets at the points I knew I'd likely need to start :D
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Well ate a banana 30 mins before today's run- not intentional, I wanted to wait an hr. Got to 5 km and had the symptoms. However today I didn't drink nearly enough water in the lead up and I ran a new route as well.so not the best attempts all around lol.