I think I am really done losing now

Options
I declared myself in maintenance when I got at/below 164 for a few days because that was my goal. I pretty quickly decided I wanted more wiggle room and kept dropping slowly to get under 160 and above 155, which I think is good maintenance range, since the top is 4 pounds below my scream weight. 2 days ago I weighed 156.8, today it's 157.8. This is a good spot to stop and adjust up and down to stay close to where I am. I don't want low 150s and low 160s made me nervous about being too close to my absolute upper limit.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

My stats/situation is similar to yours.

I lost 36# from 196 to 160 in 7 months, which was my initial target weight, and then went into maintenance mode but still lost an additional 5# down to 155 +/-2 in the last 17 months.

I like my weight at 155, do not want to lose more and will make adjustments, as necessary, to stay there.

Here's wishing you continued "good luck" in your maintenance effort. Of course, luck really doesn't have anything to do w/it but "good luck" to you nonetheless. ;)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I did the same. My true goal weight was 175lbs at about 6'2". In reality, I use 170 as my maintenance target such that 175 is pretty much the highest I'd ever see on the scale given normal fluctuations. I like the idea of having some headroom so I don't immediately panic if I think I see my weight trending upwards.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. My true goal was/is 175, and once I got there, I too thought that I could use some wiggle room. I'm at 166.5 now, and plan on getting to 165 and recomping from there while staying in the 165-170 window at the "first thing in the morning" weigh-in. I'm 5'10" and people I trust are telling me to not lose anymore.....you must be really lean at 6'2".
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    jfan175 wrote: »
    I'm right there with you. My true goal was/is 175, and once I got there, I too thought that I could use some wiggle room. I'm at 166.5 now, and plan on getting to 165 and recomping from there while staying in the 165-170 window at the "first thing in the morning" weigh-in. I'm 5'10" and people I trust are telling me to not lose anymore.....you must be really lean at 6'2".

6'2" - not sure where you got that. I am 5'8". My BMI is around 24 and I don't want it to much lower or higher.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    jfan175 wrote: »

6'2" - not sure where you got that. I am 5'8". My BMI is around 24 and I don't want it to much lower or higher.

I think jfan's question was for me :smile: My post was right above his.

Yes, 170 at 6'2" is pretty lean. I'd guesstimate about 10% body fat.

For my tastes (and my wife's) it's actually borderline too lean and my face starts to look gaunt if I drop even a few pounds into the 160's. 175 seems to be my sweet spot.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    Sorry. Yeah, that is low for you. A lot of recent studies indicate that healthy should probably be more like 22-26 and you would be just below that. That's just based on odds for a long and healthy life and they are not significantly better than just below or above though.
  • jordy1800
    jordy1800 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Funny how sometimes when you reach your goal weight suddenly you feel compelled to lose a few more. I went through a couple of goal-posts before finally stopping at 180 (210, 200, 190). And now I'm thinking that is a plateau that in 6 months or a year I can reduce even further, after proving I can maintain over my traditional fall/winter weight gain period. I am 6 ft so I am still only at the top of my healthy BMI range but I am starting too look kind of bony. Friends and family are starting to look concerned.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    My last few pounds are mostly anxiety driven. I didn't change the goal - to be at or below 164. But I decided to do that by trying to stay below 160 so that going over would not be as stressful. At 160+, I will go into a deficit and lose down into the upper 150s and probably won't hit 164 even on a spike. the last few weigh ins have been below 158, but I haven't gone below 156. I have been at or below 160 for a couple of weeks and I am currently trying to eat at maintenance and not a deficit.

I did change my goal on the way down; my first one was something that I was sure I could achieve, then it changed to a weight I haven't stayed at for a while but used to be my weight and then finally I decided on using BMI to set 24.9 (164 pounds) as my absolute upper limit. My recent change was to the range I am trying to stay in below that limit.