Where to find seaweed/nori wraps?

zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
I've been looking for seaweed wraps (like used for sushi) in my 3 grocery stores - Coleman's, Sobeys, and Dominion - and not found them. I checked in the international foods aisle and the deli where the sushi is sold. Is there a place in a regular grocery that I missed, or do I have to find if this town has an Asian grocery?

I want to make my own seaweed crisps/chips since I can't find those either.

Replies

• dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    I found some in Richards Whole Foods, which is a bulk/health foods store here in Flori-duh.

Might want to try a bulk/whole foods or health foods store in your area. I think I've seen them the few times I've been to Wal-Mart, but I may have been mistaken, as I wasn't really looking.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    We have them at Whole Foods and I know I’ve bought them at our produce market too. Not sure about Kroger, but I would think so.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Do you have a Korean or Japanese market near you?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am sure I found mine in the international aisle at Superstore.
  • zyxst
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Do you have a Korean or Japanese market near you?

Not near me. There's probably one downtown at an inconvenient location only open 3 hours in the afternoon.

The grocery stores I mentioned have sushi counters/stations that make wrapped rolls. The wraps have to come from somewhere. Asking where they get their wraps is not worth it since the answer is either I don't know or Sysco.
  • MelodyMomof2
    MelodyMomof2 Posts: 45 Member
    We get them at Publix or Bilo. Not sure if you have those around.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Do you have natural food stores like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, or independent versions of these? They usually have these items.

Maybe you could order online, too.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    I have never ever heard of any of those stores (then again I live in Hollywood) lol. Whole Foods, sprouts, even Ralph’s carries them
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    I bought these just yesterday at my local grocery store, Shoprite. Found on the bottom shelf in the international food section, tucked away with all the rice and noodles.

I would check your local grocery store’s website to see if they stock the item first. That’s sometimes how I look to see if new products are available before I physically go to the market - if it’s available for purchase on their website, you can then go to the store and ask a person stocking shelves to look it up on their inventory handheld computer for the location because they can grab the SKU from the company website.

Good luck finding them! I made shrimp and veggie wraps last night with the nori and they were awesome!
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Grocery stores really want your business. Try asking a manager to order them for you.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Or go to any high end supermarket that sells prepared sushi and ask the counter person if they can sell you sheets of nori. That said, the same stores will also like carry it on shelf.

You could also ask a sushi restaurant if they'd sell you some. Since restaurants aren't usually in the habit of declining sales, I'm pretty sure they won't have a problem with it.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Health food stores carry it. My local Stop and Shop has the sheets in the Asian products aisle near noodles.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    If you can't find them locally, Amazon sells them. They also sell the seaweed snacks.
  • zyxst
    I wasn't able to find any sheets today. This town has health food shops, but they're more toward supplements, aromatherapy, and salt lamps than actual food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    If you can't find them locally, Amazon sells them. They also sell the seaweed snacks.

While this is certainly one option, in my experience Amazon's Asian foods are WAY overpriced. I'm south of Boston and make the trip to Kam Man in Quincy a few times a year to stock up on Asian staples. Love that store!
  • Crochetmama84
    Crochetmama84 Posts: 224 Member
    I have seen them in the produce section by refrigerated dressings. Look there?