Why Am I Gaining Weight on this Meal Plan? I want to maintain.

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Do you think less than 1800 is normal for maintenance

Read through the posts here on this thread about your logging and maintenance.

I did and nobody has given me a straight answer

I ran your stats through a calculator and it gave you an estimated maintenance of 1575.

Maybe work with that number and see how things work out for you.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight, you're eating too much. It's really that simple.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I put your stats in MFP and it gave me 1650 to maintain according to your height, weight, age and gender.

If you aren't using MFP to correctly track your calories, you probably are eating more than you think. Accurately track for a month and see what happens.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

It's just not that simple. If you won't give more information, then all answers are nothing more than a guess (some are very educated guesses, but guesses, none-the-less).
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Because it's not as simple as yes or no.

Are you logging right?

Are you understanding that weight gain when going into maintenance is normal?

Those are the factors you need to address first.
  • SaraBrinksey9
    SaraBrinksey9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

And I took the time to add up your calories from above meals (plugged in 200 cals for the meat since you did not add that), and it comes to 1370-1400 calories. You are eating more than you think.

It looks like you just setup your account in MFP today? So you are not weighing and logging here?

And I took the time to add up your calories from above meals (plugged in 200 cals for the meat since you did not add that), and it comes to 1370-1400 calories. You are eating more than you think.

It looks like you just setup your account in MFP today? So you are not weighing and logging here?

Thank you for this insightful response! You said you added it up and it came out to be roughly 1400 cal, so I was confused by what you meant when you said Im eating more than I think (I counted it as 1700/1800). Yes I just joined today; I have been in recovery from anorexia for 5 1/2 years and took a break but I’m really motivated and wanted to seek out reassurance because my eating disorder is convincing me otherwise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Thank you for this insightful response! You said you added it up and it came out to be roughly 1400 cal, so I was confused by what you meant when you said Im eating more than I think (I counted it as 1700/1800). Yes I just joined today; I have been in recovery from anorexia for 5 1/2 years and took a break but I’m really motivated and wanted to seek out reassurance because my eating disorder is convincing me otherwise.

then seek further help for your disorder first and foremost. you were given good advice and maintenance is an estimate. nothing when it comes to weight loss,gain or maintenance is going to be an exact number. like the calculators say my BMR is 1400-1500+ but its not its actually a little over 1200 from all the data I have collected over the past few years.

it says my mainteanance is 2100-2300. I maintain on about 1900 calories and I burn quite a bit of calories a day. so everything is an estimate. so you will have to eat at a certain amount of calories and do that for awhile and see what happens. your weight also fluctuates every hour every day. so fluctuations are normal
  • collectingblues
    Options

Talk to your therapist. Find a dietitian.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    The fact that in your first post you referred to cups instead of weight of food indicates to me that you are not weighing your solids or your prepackaged foods. Get a kitchen scale and use it for everything except liquids. People that rely on cup measures and don't weigh prepackaged food nearly always eat more than they think they are. Until you get more accurate in logging you can not work out maintenance calories which will always be trial and error until you find the amount as everyone is different.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I think you had a thread with the same thing a month or so ago under a different username and were given the same advice? There is no way you should be gaining on 1700. It is most likely water weight unless there is a possibility you are eating more calories than you are weighing.
  • SaraBrinksey9
    SaraBrinksey9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I mentioned eating more than you think because weight gain (which you stated you went from 113 to 118) is caused by eating more than we need to maintain, so the way you were logging and counting calories is off. Wanting to maintain at your current weight is a very sound and good idea, of course letting your doctors or treatment team aware of this should be a step I encourage you to do.

If you plan to eat those meals you laid in your original post (which is perfectly fine) during maintaining your weight, you need to learn how to weigh out our food and log accurately in MFP if you plan to use the MFP app. However I am leary of a person with an eating disorder to take this on without supervision from their doctor/treatment team.

You were given an estimated TDEE (maintenance) off an online calculator and another which used MFP (1650 cals) as you can see these vary, however any numbers you get from various sources are just baseline starting points only. The only way to arrive at your true maintenance is for you weigh and log food for 3-4 weeks, keep up with your body scale weight and adjust in small increments as needed and trend it again, so on and so on.

What would you consider “skinny” for 5’5? Do I have wiggle room? I increased to 1700 and fear that I am going to continuously gain.
  • collectingblues
    Options

I mentioned eating more than you think because weight gain (which you stated you went from 113 to 118) is caused by eating more than we need to maintain, so the way you were logging and counting calories is off. Wanting to maintain at your current weight is a very sound and good idea, of course letting your doctors or treatment team aware of this should be a step I encourage you to do.

If you plan to eat those meals you laid in your original post (which is perfectly fine) during maintaining your weight, you need to learn how to weigh out our food and log accurately in MFP if you plan to use the MFP app. However I am leary of a person with an eating disorder to take this on without supervision from their doctor/treatment team.

You were given an estimated TDEE (maintenance) off an online calculator and another which used MFP (1650 cals) as you can see these vary, however any numbers you get from various sources are just baseline starting points only. The only way to arrive at your true maintenance is for you weigh and log food for 3-4 weeks, keep up with your body scale weight and adjust in small increments as needed and trend it again, so on and so on.

What would you consider “skinny” for 5’5? Do I have wiggle room? I increased to 1700 and fear that I am going to continuously gain.

Why does it matter what skinny is, and whether you have wiggle room?