OMG Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    I go over almost every single day. I removed it from display, since it didn't seem like there was much point to it. Here's my top 10 sources of sugar, of which halo-top is the only one that's highly processed. I'm not really planning on eliminating/reducing any of them.

4x0b3ypawwaj.png

Exactly. Thank you for reminding me of checking my cumulative sugar intake through that features. Sorry, tomatoes will never be out of my diet.

cp8e1kc1av3t.png
  • dragthewaters1991
    dragthewaters1991 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Food companies put sugar into everything they can. It’s there best bet that’ll sugar will have you taste buds addicted and want more. The only thing you can really do is read labels and drink water over juice or soda ... reduce not element fruits intake

And a lot of times foods with low or no added sugars, more whole ingredients, etc. are more expensive than comparable foods with added sugars and more refined ingredients.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I’ve been tracking my eating habits for almost a month. I’ve been noticing that I regularly go over the daily sugar goal, which is 45 grams. Today I just googled it, and it turns out the daily recommendation for wemon is 25 grams!
    I’ve been trying to reduce my daily sugar intake since I noticed that I was going over the goal, and it’s a lot harder than I thought! Now that I realize even 45 grams is too much I’m kinda in shock!
    Anyone else come to this realization when you started tracking eating habits?

The 25 grams recommendation is for added sugar. The 45 grams you got from MFP is total sugar...added and naturally occurring.

I never really tracked it because once I gave up soda, I ate very little in the way of added sugar...most of my sugar comes from veg and a serving or two of fruit daily.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I'm a type 2 diabetic who tests blood sugar after eating frequently, and as far as my blood glucose levels are concerned, there's nothing magic about sugar as compared to other carbs such as starches. One of the things which spikes my levels worst is a plain white tortilla, no added sugar at all. While a large navel orange full of sugar is fine for me because of the fiber which slows down digestion. I don't track sugar on MFP and replaced that column with fiber so I could calculate net carbs.

All carbs (excepting fiber) end up as sugar when you digest them anyway.