HELP! Off track for two days I need motivation

Options
It seems like whenever my husband has a day off I go off track and don’t count calories and I also eat bad foods! I feel hopeless because I know every week I will have another set back it feels like :( Last night we ordered dominos and through the day I had iced coffee twice which adds up with the calories! Then today I had a burger and fries for dinner and a taco bowl for lunch along with the iced coffee!!!

I’m on my 15 day with mfp and had lost 5 pounds the first week along with every other day strength training and walking. Now it feels like I’m giving up again I’m so upset

Replies

• arilukaszewicz1
    arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    HarryPro wrote: »
    One or two bad days aren't going to kill you or your diet. It seems to me like you are better off just getting back on track than abandoning the diet altogether, no? Everyone stumbles, you just gotta keep progressing forward.

Thank you that’s true, I just hate my that my husband eats bad in front of me. Guess I need more self control

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    You’re human, enjoy your life cause you only get one. 2 days won’t derail overall consistency
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You can work your calories to fit pizza and burgers in without wrecking anything. I eat that almost weekly.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    /it takes work to break that cycle of eating whatever you want. There is always the weekends...lots of holidays ..birthdays ..and vacations. If you don't come up with a strategy for having fun and staying on your plan it will be a long road. Having one thing off is one matter..but eating all day long for a few days of what you want will set you back.

move on...just jump back on your plan and get it under control.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Try not to think of food as good or bad. Calories are calories. I had pizza on Friday myself and I made it fit into my normal diet. Instead of thinking of it as food as you can't have all think of it is food you can have if you plan ahead.

I can't tell you what is right or wrong for you because it is your diet but I do think that you should log it all. Depending on what you selected as your weekly lose rate you may not have even done as bad as you are imagining. You have to eat 3500 calories above your maintenance calories to gain a pound of fat. It is probably also a good idea to know what your maintenance calories are.

There is a rule I live by now that might help you. I do not expect myself to be perfect and lose weight everyday. I just expect myself to lose weight most days. For me taking the stress off actually helps me to be better.
  • HarryPro
    HarryPro Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One or two bad days aren't going to kill you or your diet. It seems to me like you are better off just getting back on track than abandoning the diet altogether, no? Everyone stumbles, you just gotta keep progressing forward.

Thank you that’s true, I just hate my that my husband eats bad in front of me. Guess I need more self control

I hear you. I feel like we dieters are more often stuck with stubborn spouses than not. Especially us guys who tend to be a touch or two (or ten) more stubborn than women. Really, tho, the only thing that is going to wreck your diet is getting off of it. A trip up here and there isn't going to matter as long as you keep working toward your goal.

Keep the faith, Sister. You'll be alright. :)
  • Siran12001
    Siran12001 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you know you're going to eat more calories, whenever your husband has a day off, try preplanning. Your body doesn't reset at midnight. Eat 50-100 kcal a day less over the week and you can eat 300-600 kcals more on the day off, without ruining your diet.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    You can work your calories to fit pizza and burgers in without wrecking anything. I eat that almost weekly.

Absolutely. You can have a slice of pizza and fit that in no problem, its when you have the whole pizza that it becomes an issue, right? Burgers are fine (I try to skip the fries because they are generally more calorie dense than the burger sometimes!). If you know your hubby is going to be off and your eating is going to get funky, just plan for it. Eat at more of a deficit the day before and/or the day after, make breakfast light if you know lunch and dinner will be heavier, etc.

There's no reason to feel bad about eating foods you enjoy, you just need to figure out how to work it in to your goals. This will be a lifelong issue so might as well learn to figure it out now!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thank you that’s true, I just hate my that my husband eats bad in front of me. Guess I need more self control.

This time of year we have burgers all the time. Having pizza tonight. I don't need self control or motivation - I need new habits.

When we grill burgers, mine is 4 oz and his is considerably larger. I have a big salad with mine. My bun is only 110 calories. His buns are a lot more.

He gets 5/8 of the pizza. I get 3/8. He's a foot taller than me so splitting food would be silly. (However, we did split pizza for a long time before the light bulb went off.) I have a big salad with pizza and chew the pizza really really slowly.

When we go out to eat, I know I will be satisfied with a half entree so plan ahead to just eat half and bring the rest home.

If I were going out to eat twice in one day I'd pick lighter meals.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    1. There are no bad foods.
    2. Just get back on that horse and ride. You are not going to get to your destination if you just stare at the damn horse. So what if it threw you; get back in the saddle, take firm grip of the reins and let that pony run.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    It can be so frustrating. My DH eats LOTS and it is really tempting to eat the same as him sometimes.

What helped me was actually putting in his stats into MFP and seeing what his calorie target should be a day - at 6ft6, in an active job, I already knew he needed "more" than I do at 5ft4, but actually seeing that number (about 2.5x my intake goal) put it into perspective for me.

Now I say no more often, take smaller serves, or leave a few things off my plate.
    Usually.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful to figure out how to work those things into your daily calories. There really are no "bad" foods, and you seem to be losing weight like a champ, so there's really no problem here.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Discipline > Motivation

You do need more self control. Honestly, motivation ebbs, flows and fades. It won't sustain you for months and months, through hormonal cycles and holidays, through seasonal changes and moods.

Agree though: don't be so hard on yourself. Learn and move forward. 2 days is really nothing in the big picture!