I'm finally hitting that patch of doubt...

Options
It's been exactly 30 days today that I started my fitness journey and I'm finally hitting that little depressing moment where you're like "Where's my flat stomach?" I haven't slowed down, but I have started increasing the intensity of my workouts. I've lost 13 lbs, but my mind is always bending the good and asking "Why haven't I lost more?" "Why can't I tell?" and so on. I do feel better than I did a month ago, both physically and mentally. I'm just here to make friends with you guys, so you can keep me on track. Haha. I'd do the same for you, of course. I've already made some pretty awesome friends that keep me going on a daily basis, and I truly appreciate them. I have a long way to go and I feel like these moments are only gonna get harder and harder, but that's why we put in the work, right?

Replies

• artsmom56
    artsmom56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the doubt thing at 4 weeks, so far week 5 and doing fine. But boy, do I know what you mean. I have to lose 15 pounds before surgery. Have lost 7. Hang in there Ruiz! We’re with you. I’m still shocked I’ve been without sugar and carbonation this long without dying.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    I think our brains hate weight loss. You are exactly right, it is mind bending, even twisting when the brain thinks its necessary. You are fortunate in that you already realize your brain is working on you by going against hard facts.

If you’ve lost weight while increasing your physical endurance, its working. Don’t concern yourself with why you have negative thoughts, no one can stop them. The only important thing is what you do in the face of the self doubt. Keep pushing back. Track your progress and fight the negativity with facts.

What you are doing is worthwhile. A high level of fitness takes time. Good luck.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I was in the same boat about a month ago. I was losing weight everywhere but where I wanted to. The last 5lbs or so (so from about 17lbs down to 22) seems to have all come off the gut, so it will happen, even if not on the schedule you want.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint. Lower expectations and savor small successes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    It's usually due to the habit of believing that things should happen pretty instantaneously just because of a little hard work. People that have abs didn't get them from working out a month, 6 months, or even a year. For many it can take a FEW years to get there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's usually due to the habit of believing that things should happen pretty instantaneously just because of a little hard work. People that have abs didn't get them from working out a month, 6 months, or even a year. For many it can take a FEW years to get there.

^ Yep. The only people who get a flat stomach in 30 days are the ones who start out with a 99.9% flat stomach in the first place. Think in terms of months/years rather than days/weeks.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    30 days on a diet is nothing. sounds like you've done great and you have more to go. don't beat yourself up over that. i've been dieting since January..and just now have a flat stomach. if i would have let doubt stop me30 days in, i wouldn't be where I'm at today. It isn't fast enough..but it is so worth it! Stick with your plan.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot of progress for 30 days. Be proud of what you’ve accomplished and try to not set unrealistic expectations.