Keto not losing should I just focus on basic diet

Options
I gave 100 to lose. Just finished week 2 of strict keto. I’ve tried every other diet. First week lost 7.5 pounds. Second week lost a little over one pound. I don’t see the huge differences everyone claims ... I need long term. Should I focus on keto or general eat good calories In calories out concept.

Replies

• beccapax
    beccapax Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 200 pounds when I was 18 by doing Atkins, and kept if off since then (for the most part - I had two babies, etc.). I think the reason that diet worked so well for me, when a low-fat diet did not, was because I felt satiated all the time. I get very hangry when my blood sugar gets low, and that never happened to me on Atkins.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Keto is a modified, stricter Atkins with a focus on purposely eating fat and eating certain types of "natural, unprocessed" foods, while Atkins really does not make that distinction. I wonder if it's possible you're eating too much fat with Keto?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Keto isn’t for everyone. You sound like you’re losing enough weight, but if you don’t like the foods, try a new plan. Also, you can follow keto and still be eating too many calories. I’m a huge fan of keto but it’s not easy and one of a gazillion options that all achieve the same outcome.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Unless you are starting from a very heavy weight anything much over 2lb a week lose is very aggressive (2lb = 7,000 calorie deficit approx)! If you start losing more than that you have to be mindful you might be losing lean mass (not healthy)!

If you are struggling eating in a keto model, then either be less restrictive with carbs and eat a more low to moderate carb diet, or calorie count and just eat in moderation.

Sadly there are no quick fixes, but stick with it and you will see the results month in month and when you hit your target weight it will be a fantastic achievement and after a year of eating in your chosen model you should be more atune to maintaining that eating style.

Good luck
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Njkelley wrote: »
    My point was. First week mainly water I do that on any diet. Week 2 was 1.5 pounds again that can be achieved on any diet. Is there a benefit to doing keto rather than calories but and out.
    1. The benefit is if it makes it easier for you to stick to your deficit. I would think that might take more than 2 weeks to tell. Which leads me to...
    2. With 100 lbs to lose, you need to develop a long term, more patient approach. You can't tell anything in 2 weeks, it's a tiny little blip on the radar. You need to give any plan at least 4-6 weeks, and a woman with a monthly cycle should probably give it more like 6-8 weeks to really start to see a long range trend.

I know I could never eat that low carb for an extended period of time, so I don't do keto (or low carb). I know other folks who liked eating a higher fat diet and had better control limiting carbs to a minimum. In the long range, there is no confirmable difference between different diets assuming you stick to your deficit.