Cortisol

Options
Hi-

I read in another post about how stressing your body with too few calories or too much exercise can increase cortisol. Some of the reading thus far suggests having a higher calorie day or taking a break from exercise can bring your cortisol back down.

I don't know much about cortisol; how to measure it; how to manage it or if I should really care.

Of course I do some of the bad things mentioned in the link below especially drinking gobs of coffee. I don't eat sugar and keep my carbs low so that might help.

https://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Cortisol

Interested in informed opinions, please share what you know from real experience.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb can increase cortisol as well, by the way. Why are you looking into this? Are you just curious or are you feeling stressed or wish to see if you're stalling (retaining water) due to cortisol increase? This may help steer the discussion.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    erjones11 wrote: »
    Hi-

I read in another post about how stressing your body with too few calories or too much exercise can increase cortisol. Some of the reading thus far suggests having a higher calorie day or taking a break from exercise can bring your cortisol back down.

I don't know much about cortisol; how to measure it; how to manage it or if I should really care.

Of course I do some of the bad things mentioned in the link below especially drinking gobs of coffee. I don't eat sugar and keep my carbs low so that might help.

https://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Cortisol

Interested in informed opinions, please share what you know from real experience.

Always vet your sources carefully. For example, taking Rhodiola rosea is recommended on that link you posted. There is currently zero credible studies done on it, even though it's being touted as the newest miracle supplement.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3541197/

Conclusion:

"Research regarding R. rosea efficacy is contradictory. While some evidence suggests that the herb may be helpful for enhancing physical performance and alleviating mental fatigue, methodological flaws limit accurate assessment of efficacy. A rigorously-designed well reported RCT that minimizes bias is needed to determine true efficacy of R. rosea for fatigue."

• erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was just curious as someone else put in another form post that cortisol is a big deal. I'm not sure if it is or is not. I am neither stressed or stalled.

I would not know if my cortisol is high or not. From what I can tell the only way to check it is with a blood test and it changes throughout the day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was just curious as someone else put in another form post that cortisol is a big deal. I'm not sure if it is or is not. I am neither stressed or stalled.

I would not know if my cortisol is high or not. From what I can tell the only way to check it is with a blood test and it changes throughout the day.

Normally it would change through the day. This is fine, and if stress that caused it was workout, great.

But not if constant elevated because of bad constant stress.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Observe common sense stress minimizing habits like good sleep, appropriate recovery, not undereating...etc and you should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much. You can find out your numbers by requesting a test if you're curious, but it's not necessary.