Using food as a coping mechanism

Options
AmberLeeMichigan
AmberLeeMichigan Posts: 38 Member
edited May 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hi! I've struggled with my weight for most of my life. Grew up in a rough home with an alcoholic/addict mother and alcoholic step-father. I've always turned to food because it was easily accessible. I can do great all day, but then the nighttime comes, and I just want to binge eat. I was 150 lbs last summer and felt great but now I'm back up to 170 as of yesterday :(. My highest weight is 199 and I don't ever want to get back there. I'm seeing a counselor and I've recommitted to my health because I know I deserve happiness.

I had brain/skull and spine surgery in 2014 for an incurable brain disorder that I was born with but didn't know I had until I became symptomatic when I was 34. I lost my career as a legal assistant because of short-term memory loss following surgery. Exercise seems twice as hard now, but I'm not giving up. Every time I take a break, I have to start over with 1 lb weights and it makes me feel so low.

Anyway, I'm in this fight and I'm wondering if anyone else struggles with eating as a coping mechanism? Any tips on what has/hasn't worked for you?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    In general, I think it's easier to focus on replacing a bad habit with a good habit, rather than just stop the bad habit. So perhaps try to think of something else that is easily accesible and makes you feel good that you can substitute, and then a reminder to always have around.

Like wear a ring on a finger you don't usually, to remind you to watch a kitteh video on YT rather than wander into the kitchen for a snack.

If you're a reader, I recommend "The Power of Habit" to everyone. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    You actually have a great first step in realizing that night time binging is your big problem. See if you can break it down even further. What is happening right before? What are you doing while eating? What kinds of foods are you going for? What is your reward for eating at that time? Once you know the hows and whys, it is much easier to fix.
    Maybe you can get trigger foods out of the house. Maybe you can pick up a hobby that keeps your hands busy while you watch tv. Maybe you can replace some of your munching in front of the tv with stretches, exercises, or sitting on and playing with a giant excercise ball in front of the TV. (Which is what my daughter loves to do). Maybe you can stop trying to fight your nightly eating, and give yourself permission to plan a specific snack time, with a budgeted calorie count.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Sounds rough. Definitely find a new "happy place". Great books, interesting podcasts, hobbies, etc. I walk our dogs while listening to podcasts. The time flies by and I'm getting exercise, the dogs are loving it, I'm out of the kitchen.