Venting about support (bra shopping woes)

Lounmoun
Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
I have not bought new bras for several years. Maybe because of how much of a headache it is.
I have spent the day trying to figure out what bra size to buy.
I have measured myself wearing different bras, not wearing a bra, standing, leaning over, laying down, over the bust, under the bust, just the breast (hello two different sizes), in front of a mirror. I have gotten the same measurements pretty consistantly.
I have put the same measurements into 11 different bra size calculators. I was told the following sizes:
  1. 38DDD
  2. 38F/FF (DDD)
  3. 38 G
  4. 38 DDD
  5. 40 D or DD
  6. 38 F or 38 D3
  7. 40 D
  8. 40D
  9. 38DDD
  10. 40D
  11. 38 G/H

Of my current bras, I have 2 I have hardly worn that the size is still clearly visible. 42C (Playtex wireless) and 40D (Vanity Fair underwire). Of those I have worn a lot I think 2 are marked 40D (Bali wireless) but hard to make out. I have the Bali bra of the same style in several colors and some are tighter than others even though they were all bought at the same time from the same place. The 42C Platex bra fits comfortably on the tightest hook set and exactly like a well fitting bra is supposed to. It is covered in lumpy lace that looks horrible under any clothes but thick sweaters. The 40D Vanity Fair bra on the loosest set of hooks is very snug although it also appears to fit pretty well. It is uncomfortable though. I hate underwire bras. The Bali 40D cups are all a bit loose on me except for the black bra of that brand.

I measured the cups of the a Bali bra and the 2 others with a tape measure. The Playtex and Vanity Fair had the same measurements which makes some sense because of the sister size thing. The Bali cup was slightly larger though. So a 40D cup in one brand is not the same as a 40D cup in another brand. A C cup is the same as a D. Why would a 38G cup ever fit? I don't know where to buy a G or H cup! I'm not that big am I?
Yes, I looked at sister sizes. http://www.hurraykimmay.com/2017/02/20/bras-what-is-sister-sizing/
http://www.biggerbras.com/fitting/bras/

If a 40D bra band is very snug it does not seem like a 38 band size would be a good fit. I saw advice on one site to get the bra that fits on the loosest hook and maybe get a bra extender.
I read this article about a woman getting professionally fitted and still having trouble getting a good fit.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/kristinchirico/no-one-can-figure-out-my-bra-size

Why are bras so freakishly hard to figure out!?!

Replies

• PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,851 Member
    I've never had any trouble finding them, but I've not been very blessed in that area. I had no idea it was this difficult for some women. All that sounds very confusing.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I went somewhere that did fittings. I've actually done this twice. Neither place used measuring tapes, they just had me try on a bunch until we found the right one. And believe me, when you find the right one, it just feels great. Unfortunately, the larger sizes are typically found in specialty stores (although I got my last 5 in London for less than the cost of one here, thank you, @VintageFeline, we miss seeing you around here).
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    I think a combo of not having any true industry standard and how many variations there can be between women. And different brands. I bought three new ones from Penningtons, two out of three fit great. The third one, although it was the same size as the other two made me feel like I was about to fall out of it. Sometimes you just have to try different brands until you find one that fits. Or you could start making your own but you'd need a surger for that.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Don't get me started about bras. :s

I've historically had to go with the largest band and smallest cup combo that I could find. I would have liked to find something like a 52A but had to make do with 46C or, if I was lucky, 48C. I'd swim in the cups while the band dug into me all day.

I'm now in the normal BMI range. My breasts look like deflated balloons. I still have back fat and plenty of loose skin to plump out the band measurement. I've tried shopping for bras but keep giving up.

Most of the time these days, IDGAF and just go braless under a t-shirt. When I have to wear a bra, I wear a cheap oversized stretchy one that basically fits like a camisole but the band is just tight enough that I don't fall out of the bottom when I lift my arms.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    If you can find a specialty lingerie store (the one I use in DC carries everything from a AA to KK size bras); I go in once a year for fits and then use figleaves because they have a decent return policy slthoygh shipping can be slow

For reference I’m a 32FF/32G
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I feel your frustration! I finally figured out what my real bra size is by going to “BreakoutBras. com” and following their instructions. Remember that the real support comes from a good fitting band size, not the straps, so it’s important to get the measurements as they instruct. Usually it’s a smaller band size and a bigger cup size than other manufacturers are telling us. After figuring that out, I convert the bra size to UK sizes (they have a chart on that website) and I buy all my bras and bikini tops on ebay from UK sellers as they carry lots of cute styles in an amazing range of sizes! Good luck! :)
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    I had this problem last week and just couldn't find one that fit or liked so I bought a pack of 3 sport bras for $11 at walmart and they fit me good some of them dont fit good
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I feel your frustration! I finally figured out what my real bra size is by going to “BreakoutBras. com” and following their instructions. Remember that the real support comes from a good fitting band size, not the straps, so it’s important to get the measurements as they instruct. Usually it’s a smaller band size and a bigger cup size than other manufacturers are telling us. After figuring that out, I convert the bra size to UK sizes (they have a chart on that website) and I buy all my bras and bikini tops on ebay from UK sellers as they carry lots of cute styles in an amazing range of sizes! Good luck! :)

I'll have to check that site out.

It looks like my best option at the moment is to get some different sizes and brands and just try them on since bra sizes are basically meaningless.
    I'd have to drive 2+ hours to get to a real lingerie store or large department store so I'll probably need to order online if the size is not something local stores carry.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    edited May 2018
    go get fitted. Nordstrom or the like....
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I am so happy I lost my boobs when I lost the weight. Down almost 200lbs with about 30lbs more to go. I used to have that same problem.

Because of padding and shape variations, different bras will fit differently. Go find the skimpiest thinnest bra possible, preferably without underwire....Then try on different bras over it. Some style will just fit you better than others.