Critique lifting plan for a friend. Is it complete/balanced?

Options
GetSoda
GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
Three days a week.
Goals is just a tiny bit of fat loss, plus strength and a little bit of size.

Monday:
Chest press machine: 3x10
Dip machine: 3x10
Tricep push downs 3x8
Bicep curls 3x10

Wednesday:
Lat Pull Downs 3x10
Crunches 3x10
Arnold press 3x8
sitting military press 3x8

Friday:
Chest row machine 3x10
Preacher curls: 3x10
Tricep extensions 3x8
Face pulls: 3x8
Crunches 3x8

I can't help but feel I've left some vital stuff out, but I've really included as much as I could thing. My friend used to lift weights many years ago, but suffered a little bit of depression and stopped. He's generally athletic otherwise, and does a good amount of sports.
Hopefully this can build some real upper body definition and endurance and confidence on the weight machines. Trying to get motivated again is always a big challenge for people, especially paraplegics. So hopefully the push/pull mix is really solid.
In any case, I think the assisted dips will really help a lot. And hopefully none of the exercises will be problematic. I also avoided things like dumbbell lateral and front raises, given how much he uses his shoulders on a day to day basis.

thanks.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bump to remind myself to come back after I have a ponder.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So sorry your friend was born without any legs.
    Mike
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    oops
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So sorry your friend was born without any legs.
    Mike

^^^^^ This. What happened to leg day???????
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just for clarity, this gentleman is actually a paraplegic, right?

It makes a good amount of difference and explains why you've chosen some of the exercises you did and not, for example, deadlifts, etc.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Friends don't let friends skip leg day.

eta... missed the parplegic ref. If he really is a paraplegic, it might be good to consult with his doctor about recommendations.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do a 3 day split, do something like

Legs and Shoulders
    Back and Biceps
    Chest and Triceps

Minus the legs for obvious reasons...
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'd second the recommendation to talk to a doctor before having him start any training programs.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It's a very bro split. Drop the machines. Get free weights in there.

If 3 days a week is your only option, then do day 1 push, day 2 pull, day 3 full body strength. Add accessory as you feel fit on any of the days really. (arms, core, rehab)

edit: people should read the post... leg day, ugn...
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    l totally missed the paraplegic reference, so sorry to come off flippant. I saw the very athletic part, and not doing legs is a chronic BRO problem, and I jumped in without thinking. I have recenlty started the ALL PRO beginners routine, which I like a lot. This is supposedly better for people on a cut, so do a google search for bodybuilding.com ALL PRO workout and read the first 10 pages on the forum. . Here is a summary of the upper body portion of the workout:

A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows >>>>could replace this with face pulls
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Barbell Curls
    You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.

Mike
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Does the gym have cables or an adjustable cable arm machine? If so, I'd sub in some cable chest press and flyes for some of the machine press work. That's making an assumption that your friend can get a stable base to support himself for it, of course. They should be able work for shoulders too.

Chest row? Is that the back row with chest support? If not, then this program is currently lacking in rowing exercises. If support is an issue then let me ups/inverted rows should work for him. And since we don't have to factor in recovery from leg or deadlift day, I'd feel okay with doubling down on all the major body parts. Hard to give specific recommendations as I don't know what your friends specific limitations are, but I'm thinking bench+incline bench/flyes on chest day, lat pulldown+rows on back day, etc.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    edited for missing that this guy has no freaking legs. im so sorry :( *cries*
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Nice roll bread. Well done.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    woops, double post?