What do you think I’m missing? (Beginner strength)

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
So I’m recovering from a calf injury and I have a few leg imbalances for which I’m doing physio exercises. I’m limited to about 25 minutes of low impact cardio: swimming, stationary bike, and walking.

So one thing I’ve started doing again is using the weight machines at the gym. There are a few rather old ones off the track, and of the ones that have instructions on them and can be adjusted (aka aren’t broken in some spots) I’ve started using them.

Currently doing this
62at6lyr5cff.jpeg
At 10 repetitions for one set each. I’ve only gone twice so far, last week and this, so I wanted to be careful not to overdo anything. And as far as I’m aware based off of the instructions my form is fine.

In addition to that I am doing a few bodyweight exercises for my physio - 10 squats, bridges, and fire hydrants. I’ve added oblique crunches that I used to do in an old yoga class (so I know how to to them). Ten per side.

Because the current access to weight machines is pretty limited, and I can tell that my right and left arms are not balanced - not to mention my knowledge of bodyweight exercises is also very minimal - I wondered if some more experienced members of this forum might know of an area I’m missing.

I can rent dumbbells from behind the desk at the gym, and probably learn some more bodyweight exercises from Youtube. So if you have any recommendations either about what I’m currently doing or on how to include maybe a muscle or muscle group I’m missing (eg I’m pretty sure my core isn’t being worked out too much - which is why I recently added the crunches to my physio routine) I would appreciate it! I’m not sure exactly what to do but I’m fairly sure my current plan has some obvious gaps I’m just not sure what they are.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    That was smart for doing only one set. I'd skip the Pec Dec (the Bench makes it redundant) and replace crunches with planks.. or even better, the ab wheel (watch a few tutorials on Youtube). Instead of the wheel, you can use furniture sliders or paper plates on carpet.

Not a big fan of machines, since they isolate body parts instead of integrating them, which is how we tend to use them. Check out the dumbbell programs in the pinned post ("Most helpful posts" > "Which Lifting Program"). There's also a program in my profile. Whatever you do, it's best to follow a single program, instead of piecing one together, which usually ends up imbalanced.

By the way, following form instructions or vids doesn't guarantee good form. You can video yourself though to check your form.

How did you hurt your calf?
  • kiela64
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    That was smart for doing only one set. I'd skip the Pec Dec (the Bench makes it redundant) and replace crunches with planks.. or even better, the ab wheel (watch a few tutorials on Youtube). Instead of the wheel, you can use furniture sliders or paper plates on carpet.

Not a big fan of machines, since they isolate body parts instead of integrating them, which is how we tend to use them. Check out the dumbbell programs in the pinned post ("Most helpful posts" > "Which Lifting Program"). There's also a program in my profile. Whatever you do, it's best to follow a single program, instead of piecing one together, which usually ends up imbalanced.

By the way, following form instructions or vids doesn't guarantee good form. You can video yourself though to check your form.

How did you hurt your calf?

Thank you for the recommendation! I just meant that I was following the instructions about how to hold my form. And with the machines I’m not likely to topple over and crash my face into something haha :p

I’ll definitely add planks. I’ve done them before so it’s not so scary as a brand new move. But I’ll look up videos of those and see.

It’s a bit ridiculous- I injured my calf walking too long on hills. I was very sedentary and then all of a sudden had this overwhelming feeling that I had to move (end of exams, stress through the roof) and then the next day I had to go to the doctor with a swollen painful lump on my calf. Tore some muscle fibres.

Hence I probably won’t do anything for a bit that puts any weight on my legs, other than the small amount of walking I’ve been cleared for.

That’s another reason I gravitated to the machines - sitting means that I’m not going to aggravate my calf while lifting anything. I definitely cannot do lunges or standing/squatting with weight. So I may have to only do part of a full program like the one you recommended. I think I will be imbalanced either way because I need to baby my legs. But my arms and core are super duper weak so maybe they’ll just catch up lol.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Check out the dumbbell programs in the pinned post ("Most helpful posts" > "Which Lifting Program"). There's also a program in my profile. Whatever you do, it's best to follow a single program, instead of piecing one together, which usually ends up imbalanced.

I've been poking through all of those programs. Today I ran some ideas by my physiotherapist and unfortunately I do not seem to be at a place yet where I can do something like one of those full programs. Maybe in a month or so I'll ask again. But I absolutely cannot add weight to squats, must stay away from lunges as well.

Definitely going to save them for future reference though. And thank you again for your recommendations!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    It’s a bit ridiculous- I injured my calf walking too long on hills. I was very sedentary and then all of a sudden had this overwhelming feeling that I had to move (end of exams, stress through the roof) and then the next day I had to go to the doctor with a swollen painful lump on my calf. Tore some muscle fibres.

Ah yes, i remember we talked about that a month ago:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41857843/#Comment_41857843
    I also saw your post on DVT, so i definitely would not wear any shoes or insoles that raise the heel. Even a slight heel tightens the calves, which can encourage cramping and clots. The heel is also notorious for causing joint problems due to the clunkier gait it creates. It's very hard to find shoes with a "zero heel" nowadays.

By the way, you can work your quads doing "wall sits", which are explained on youtube. Even with weights, the strain on the calves is less than walking. :+1:
  • kiela64
    Options

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41857843/#Comment_41857843
    I also saw your post on DVT, so i definitely would not wear any shoes or insoles that raise the heel. Even a slight heel tightens the calves, which can encourage cramping and clots. The heel is also notorious for causing joint problems due to the clunkier gait it creates. It's very hard to find shoes with a "zero heel" nowadays.

By the way, you can work your quads doing "wall sits", which are explained on youtube. Even with weights, the strain on the calves is less than walking. :+1:

Yeah I haven’t found heel-free shoes just yet. I actually had to ditch one pair of shoes and make my once indoor gym shoes my every day shoes. They have a bit of a raised heel, but it’s still a lot better than the others. I’ll keep it in mind thank you!

I’ll look those up - thank you :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Yeah I haven’t found heel-free shoes just yet. I actually had to ditch one pair of shoes and make my once indoor gym shoes my every day shoes. They have a bit of a raised heel, but it’s still a lot better than the others. I’ll keep it in mind thank you!

You can find wrestling shoes fairly easily. They are zeros with good grip and comfortable.

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

You can find wrestling shoes fairly easily. They are zeros with good grip and comfortable.

I wear Chucks, but Merrell Vapor Gloves are totally flat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Altra shoes are all flat/zero drop - and very comfortable. Also, most 'skate shoes' (Vans, DC, etc.) are flat-soled.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Altra shoes are all flat/zero drop - and very comfortable. Also, most 'skate shoes' (Vans, DC, etc.) are flat-soled.

Also Keds. Forgot about those. There's a guy at my gym who lifts in those.
  • enickma1221
    enickma1221 Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    A couple of things that jump out as missing are legs and triceps. If you dont have the ability to do squats, leg extensions/curls, etc., look into lunges with or without extra dumbbell weight. There are also several tricep dumbbell exercises out there if your machines dont offer you anything.

In terms of routines, everyone has their favorites. What's been working really well for me is getting away from splits based on body part, and work on sets based on pushing/pulling. Here's what inspired me to make that change:
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I couldn't wear Chuck's as they don't make one that my feet would fit yet. Also, I would question the arch support for my personal goals though I know it's a very popular cheap-easily found shoe that many have no issues with.