Having trouble staying asleep

Options
I have had trouble the last couple of weeks staying asleep for longer than three hours at a time. Sometimes it can take more than an hour to get back asleep. I don’t drink caffeinne after 10 am so it’s not that. I got to thinking that around that time I have only been eating 1200-1400 calories a day. I know that is a lot but I workout hard 5 days a week and get 9-12000 steps a day. Maybe the two things are unrelated but I was wondering if it is a possibility that they are related? Thank you.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    1200-1400 calories probably isn't near enough for that amount of exercise, it's entirely possible it's hunger waking you up or a deficiency of something. What are your stats? (Age, weight, height, goal weight).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Increasing activities/exercise as in volume and intensity and eating low calorie diets can definitely result in side effects such as sleep issues.

In your other thread about increasing activity level you mention losing 1.5-1 pound per week. How much do you have lose?
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I had 25-30 to loose. Now I’m down to the last 3.

I am 47 5’3” 128 pounds and my goal is 125.

Thanks for trying to help me.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have had trouble the last couple of weeks staying asleep for longer than three hours at a time. Sometimes it can take more than an hour to get back asleep. I don’t drink caffeinne after 10 am so it’s not that. I got to thinking that around that time I have only been eating 1200-1400 calories a day. I know that is a lot but I workout hard 5 days a week and get 9-12000 steps a day. Maybe the two things are unrelated but I was wondering if it is a possibility that they are related? Thank you.

in what world is 1200 -1400 cals 'a lot'?????
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You should be maintaining on around 1700-1900 net calories based on your stats/step count and then factoring in exercise calories. You're already at a normal healthy weight so you should be looking at dropping your weight loss rate to around 0.5lbs per week, a loss rate of 1-1.5lbs is a bit too aggressive for the small amount you have left to lose. That should give you a base calorie of 1450 to 1650 + at least some of your exercise calories.

Try that and see if it helps.

Edited to add from info from your other post, definitely consider switching to Active if these steps are not from intentional exercise.
  • ladybug4233
    Options

in what world is 1200 -1400 cals 'a lot'?????

Ha! Ha! I agree. I just meant I don’t go under the recommended 1200 a day. So very true!!

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Only 3 pounds left? Up your calories to allow you a loss of .5 per week, you and your sleep will appreciate extra food. Hormonal balance and fueling/recovery from exercise and your daily activities will greatly improve.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

So, I took the liberty to plug your numbers into TDEE Calculator (different from the way MFP does things...so please note that this is a different set of numbers from what you likely have via MFP....please do not let this add confusion to the situation) and this is what things should *ROUGHLY* look like for you:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,185 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,422 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,629 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 1,836 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,044 calories per day
    Athlete 2,251 calories per day

Based on the other post (that others have referenced) you are likely in the "moderate exercise" area - possibly even in the "heavy exercise" area. So, you *should* be consuming between 1630 and 1840 calories (again, this is TDEE....MFP does things a little bit differently so please do not let this add confusion). Now, as I usually state, this TDEE Calculator is a good start and since everyone is different it is likely a good start for you, but you never know until you play with this.

As someone else stated, since you have the final three pounds now would be a FANTASTIC time to increase your caloric intake so that you are losing 1/2 pound a week instead of the 1.5 - 2.0 pounds a week. Just a thought.
  • ladybug4233
    Options

So, I took the liberty to plug your numbers into TDEE Calculator (different from the way MFP does things...so please note that this is a different set of numbers from what you likely have via MFP....please do not let this add confusion to the situation) and this is what things should *ROUGHLY* look like for you:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,185 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,422 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,629 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 1,836 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,044 calories per day
    Athlete 2,251 calories per day

Based on the other post (that others have referenced) you are likely in the "moderate exercise" area - possibly even in the "heavy exercise" area. So, you *should* be consuming between 1630 and 1840 calories (again, this is TDEE....MFP does things a little bit differently so please do not let this add confusion). Now, as I usually state, this TDEE Calculator is a good start and since everyone is different it is likely a good start for you, but you never know until you play with this.

As someone else stated, since you have the final three pounds now would be a FANTASTIC time to increase your caloric intake so that you are losing 1/2 pound a week instead of the 1.5 - 2.0 pounds a week. Just a thought.

It was nice of you to take the time to do this. Thank you! One question does my TDEE take into account my exercise calories or just my steps?

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited May 2018
    Options
    TDEE would include both. And, you are most welcome. I included a full break down on your "activity" post. Sorry....kinda all over the place here.

I will copy and paste that specific set of details for you in this post (and for others following this post)...give me a second! LOL!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited May 2018
    Options
    So, here are the details from the other post that you made (the 'activity' post)....

So, total daily energy expenditure is comprised of:
    1. Basal Metabolic Rate
    2. Non-exercise activity thermogenesis
    3. Physical Activity Level (this is your "gym time")
    4. Thermal Effect of Food (this is your 'digestion')

So, with all that walking around your are increasing #2 (NEAT).

There are typically five different levels for PAL....

A. Sedentary
    B. Light Exercise
    C. Moderate Exercise
    D. Heavy Exercise
    E. Athlete

And, to avoid confusion for everyone following....I will address your question in the "activity" post regarding your question. This is somewhat "cross-posted" (and, to be clear - referencing my answers to your posts).....
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    So, here are the details from the other post that you made (the 'activity' post)....

So, total daily energy expenditure is comprised of:
    1. Basal Metabolic Rate
    2. Non-exercise activity thermogenesis
    3. Physical Activity Level (this is your "gym time")
    4. Thermal Effect of Food (this is your 'digestion')

So, with all that walking around your are increasing #2 (NEAT).

There are typically five different levels for PAL....

A. Sedentary
    B. Light Exercise
    C. Moderate Exercise
    D. Heavy Exercise
    E. Athlete

I am sorry to post on both posts. I guess I’m a hot mess trying to figure all of this out. I am so happy with my progress that I want to make sure I don’t go back. I’m not sure how to figure out my tdee since I get 10000 steps and workout 5 days a week. I’m so very sorry to be such a pain in the bootie.

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    No no no no.....It is I who am all over the place. You did nothing wrong here. :-)
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about TDEE, you're doing fine with the NEAT calculation on MFP. You just need to choose the correct levels and rate of loss. TDEE is just a different way of calculating to the same amount if you have a consistent exercise routine/burn.

Your calorie allowance on MFP based on your activity level chosen includes all Non-Exercise activity i.e. your home/work/school life. You log your exercise separately and eat those calories back.

djyyitcc7zfz.jpg