Rice??

Options
Cbkkata
Cbkkata Posts: 28 Member
Looking for a new way to season rice. Cooking on a budget add o I like to buy bulk rice. But my husband doesn't like plain rice, white or brown. I have a few ways to cook it with some extra flavor, like in broth, but I want to change it up some. Ideas to make rice more interesting??

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    coconut milk or oil.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I use sazon. I promise you won't be disappointed! Go down the Goya isle at the grocery store and pick some up today.
    You can pick up some beans ( try red or black with the rice) and then add in any meats that you might have on hand. It fills me up and is budget friendly.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I use sazon. I promise you won't be disappointed! Go down the Goya isle at the grocery store and pick some up today.
    You can pick up some beans ( try red or black with the rice) and then add in any meats that you might have on hand. It fills me up and is budget friendly.

Sazon is a good suggestion. Also, try having it with duck sauce.

If you don't mind more cooking, fried rice is a guaranteed crowd pleaser though my favorite is fried rice with only a bit of browned garlic and salt/pepper. Filipinos call it siningag and it's super easy to make.
  • Cbkkata
    Cbkkata Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All sound delicious, although I'm really curious about the coconut milk... does it change the taste??

Tonight's rice is getting cooked with beef broth and onion soup mix.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    Cbkkata wrote: »
    All sound delicious, although I'm really curious about the coconut milk... does it change the taste??

It does. It adds fat and a mellow sweetness (but it's still savory). It's delicious.

Come to think of it, nothing wrong with adding a bit of butter to your rice. Fat makes a ton of difference to flavor.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like adding salsa to my rice, both to the water when cooking it and as a mix in when it's done. I'll usually eat it with shredded/diced chicken or in a tortilla with beef/beans. :]
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Sazon is my go to also. I like to use chicken broth instead of plain water to cook the rice. Once it’s cooked I add a dollop of light butter, a packet of sazon, and then dump in a can of beans. Soooo good o:)
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Turmeric and garlic powder
  • 55kari
    55kari Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like soy sauce on my rice
  • bananasandtomatoes
    bananasandtomatoes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Saute some very finely chopped onions in tiny bit of oil until they are almost caramelized. Add pressed garlic, cook for a minute or so, add rice, water + bouillon cube or paste that you like and cook as normal.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Being Chinese, I have to say I regularly chuck all sorts of stuff in my rice. I often use a simplified version of this recipe but really you could mix up the ingredients and do the same with mutton, beef, chicken or seafood. Sky's the limit.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Being Chinese, I have to say I regularly chuck all sorts of stuff in my rice. I often use a simplified version of this recipe but really you could mix up the ingredients and do the same with mutton, beef, chicken or seafood. Sky's the limit.

Yes. That's what we often do too. Chopped meats, various peas or beans, cut vegetables, or anything else other than just plain rice. But at the very least, I agree with the seasoning powders to add flavour.
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    boullion gives it a good flavor, though usually it is high in salt.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I like sesame oil
  • yoliyoda
    yoliyoda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I didn't know I could use my rice cooker this way. I'm going to try this recipe.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Sautee diced veggies of your choice ( onion, bell pepper, mushrooms) in EVOO (or butter or coconut oil or whatever you like) until softened, add rice and cook until fragrant stirring frequently. Add liquid of your choice (I like to use low sodium broth). You can add a dash of soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce to the cooking liquid if desired. This is kind of a rice pilaf and adds a lot of flavor to rice. Brown jasmine rice is the rice I use mostly.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I usually make a batch of sticky rice (sushi rice, arborio, or whatever kind you like) in my rice cooker and serve it with soy sauce. I love it plain, but hubby always douses his in soy sauce.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Cilantro and lime juice. Yum!
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    One simple word..... Furikake

Truth. In a similar vein, Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel Seasoning would also be quite delicious on rice.