What's your favorite salad??

Options
I havent tried the Lean Cuisine Salads yet...not sure if they appeal to me...

Anyway, I love to make taco salads. I find if I use enough (spring mix) lettuce to feed a small colony then I can skimp on the toppings and save myself calories, sodium, fat, etc...

Anyone else use a ton of lettuce or do you actually measure?

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I make a vegetarian version of a taco salad and love it (having it for supper tonight)

mixed greens
    sliced black olives
    diced tomato
    diced onion
    1tbsp of ground flax seed
    1tbsp of sunflower seeds
    hot sauce
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is this one -

Santorini Farro Salad (like they make at Cheesecake Factory)
    http://blog.thenibble.com/2012/05/10/tip-of-the-day-try-farro-an-ancient-wheat/

It uses arugula, but mixed greens would probably be fine. And no I don't really measure the greens. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Mixed greens, goat cheese, smoked salmon, beets, olive oil/vinegar dressing. Lots of sodium though...
  • trudyamanda
    trudyamanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird but I add raw mushrooms to my salads!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    spinach leaves, romaine blend, carrots, grape tomatoes, green and red bell peppers, grilled chicken breast

then I mix 1 oz grapeseed oil and 1 oz pom juice with a tbsp or two of vinegar and shake it good and use it for dressing
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a mesclun mix with roquefort crumbled into it, crushed toasted walnuts and fresh strawberries with a sherry vinaigrette and fresh sliced shallots.

I do like Francl27 salad, with goat cheese and smoked salmon always an awesome combo :)
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Spinach, Craisins, Walnuts, Goat Cheese, Grilled Chicken, Pomegranate Vinaigrette :)

That or a homemade caesar with plenty of anchovies in the mix / on the salad
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Spinach leaves with egg, bacon and balsamic vinaigrette yuuuuuuum. Chicken optional.
  • new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    All of these sound SOOO GOOD and giving me great ideas!!!!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Chicken ceasar!! (This is a huge deal to me, I didn't like to eat anything lettuce this time last year!)
    Taking it one step at a time! haha
  • new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah....I correct myself...Caesar is my fav. I load that baby up with chicken, parm and croutons and dressing, etc...you get the idea. I need to be careful with them though b/c I will easily turn it into a 900 calorie gut buster. :laugh:
  • Blizaine
    Blizaine Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use a salad as a conveyor belt for fat. One of my faves is pepperoni, mozzarella, and ranch dressing. Also love caesar.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird but I add raw mushrooms to my salads!

Not weird at all-I love mushrooms with all my salads, except for my taco version lol. I :heart: mushrooms!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach, goat cheese, tomatos and cucumbers. I don't need any dressing because the tomatos and goat cheese kind of mix together and get all melty all over the spinach. Yum. Sometimes I throw in some chicken.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Baby mixed greens with goat cheese, blueberries, strawberries, sliced almonds, cucumbers and a raspberry vinaigrette....yum!!
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach or mixed greens, chicken, almonds, strawberries, blueberries and some homemade balsamic dressing.

Close second: spinach/lettuce, hardboiled egg, feta, bell pepper cucumber and homemade apple cider vinegar dressing.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Roquefort Pear Salad

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roquefort-pear-salad/detail.aspx

:noway: I'm craving it now. So good.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    those lean cuisine salads seem like a huge waste of money. add your own lettuce.....why? can't you just put chicken on your own salads haha.

i usually just throw every vegetable in my fridge into a bowl with lettuce, feta or goat cheese, banana peppers, sometimes a protein like tuna/chicken/tofu/nuts and i make my own dressing with apple cider vinegar, dijon and honey
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Mixed greens, black beans, black olives, tomatoes, onions, and I mix together chunks of avocado, sour cream and taco seasoning for a dressing YUMM!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach, goat cheese, tomatos and cucumbers. I don't need any dressing because the tomatos and goat cheese kind of mix together and get all melty all over the spinach. Yum. Sometimes I throw in some chicken.

This is what I do too! Though I usually add a little bit of olive oil and balsamic vinagrette, I have this almost daily and never seem to get tired of it. :P
    Bumping for more ideas! :)