Daily Steps

Options

Replies

• MJsStory
    MJsStory Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My goal on my Fitbit is 6000. If I am carrying something. Pushing something, or holding onto the railing while climbing stairs.... my steps don’t count. Since this is a majority of my day, I think it is counting just under half of my steps. The other day I recorded each time I used the stairs. I counted 1 trip up the down as 1 flight of stairs. Fitbit says I did 11 and I counted 25. That does not include the stairs at home.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    For the last four months my goal has been 6500. This does not include intentional exercise. The last week has been over 10k. Yesterday was 14k. Now my goal is 10k a day. I walk everywhere.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I am at about 18K a day. I am on my feet most of the day at work - I teach 3rd grade, so I am walking around the room a lot.

I do a short mile walk before work and then I do about 2 miles on the treadmill at night.

18k - about 7 to 9 miles. 3 miles outside school. So you walk around the classroom 4 to 6 miles a day?
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I go for 10,000 a day outside of exercise—just hit my one-year streak of at least 10,000 steps a day!). I work on a college campus and will take a longer route to meetings to sneak in steps, and my gym and yoga studio are within walking distance from work, so when I workout after work (most days) I get extra steps and call it my warm up. I also walk laps around my apartment complex (one lap is about 1000 steps). My “rule” is I can only watch new tv episodes when I’m walking.

I’m also lucky enough to live in Southern California where I can be outside year-round.

That’s amazing. Congrats on your streak.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a 8-5 desk job. That being said, my current FitBit average is 15,257 steps per day.

I set a goal of 1,000 steps per hour from 7am to 7pm - that gives me 12,000 step right there. I usually have over 1,000 steps by 8am, just getting ready for work. By noon, I "should" be at 5,000 steps. If I'm not, I get moving - even if it means pacing back and forth while on the phone or taking a quick lap around the building. Most evenings, I get in 2-3 miles while walking the dogs. That's another 4,000-6,000 steps.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a dog, just walking him twice a day, everyday gets me a minimum of 10,000 steps.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Goal is 10,000/ day but I’m generally 12000-15000 day. I work partime as a nurse, walk the kids to school and general daily activity, sometimes I go for a hike through the national park (maybe one a fortnight) and twice a week i do a group fitness class for an hour which often has periods of running between resistance exercises.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My phone is set for 6k and my activity tracker is set for 10k. I try to go over 10k a day and do it at least 5 out of the 7 days a week
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    My fitness watch disqualifies a lot of short movement. i have been up for a few hours, up and down the stairs, showered, had breakfast walking around the kitchen taking care of some minor chores. out to the car, drove t work, walked to the elevator, cam up and have been up and down the hall a few times. I have probably literally taken a step at least 500 times. I have 119 steps recorded. But if I use MMW during a long walk, the number of steps will match almost exactly to what the watch records.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My goal was automatically set at 8,000 and I didn't change it but I see that the American Heart Association recommends everyone get at least 10,000 so I aim for 12,000 and see what happens lol
  • usadragon16
    usadragon16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My average is 14,000-15,000 a day. I do this by working out in the morning as soon as I get up and again in the afternoon/early evening. I also park as far away from a building as I can, take little breaks to walk to the restroom, drinking fountain, copy room, etc. during the day, take the long way to my walking destinations, and so forth. I've noticed that it really only takes small alterations to my daily schedule to get those steps in. My workouts mean the most to me, though, since I think those steps are the ones that are doing the most calorie burning.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I have had a fit bit for 5 years. I go for a couple of walks every day, except one day when I relax.
    My step count averages between 15-18K/day. With one day that I don't go for walks, on these days I always get about 6K just going about daily activity.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    A dog is a great step-motivator even if not the best fitness companion (I see people running with their dogs all the time, but my golden retroodle isn't a runner lol). One of the awesome things about spring and summer is being able to walk outside comfortably early in the morning and during the long evening ... I treasure these days (and easily get 10K in). In the winter, it's a chore and a bore and I feel virtuous if I hit 7K.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    FitBit just sent me the “Great Wall of China” badge. I’ve walked 5,500 miles. I do a lot of walking and go through a lot of walking shoes.

My goal is set to 10,000. That is my minimum. I get anywhere between 15-20K steps a day. My average it 18,000. I get up a few hours before my kids and knock out the first 5-7,000 before breakfast. Also lots of purposeful back and forth and same as a PP my rule is no “fluff TV” unless I’m walking.

I spent a week painting my entire downstairs with a FitBit on my wrist and never received extra steps for arm movement. I was coming in around 4,000 steps those days but was constantly moving for 12-16 hours a day. For things like grocery shopping where my arm is bent I put the FitBit in my pocket. Stairs I never use the handrail or it won’t count it.
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use to barely get 5k a day, then I quit smoking and now get 15-20k a day. I park pretty far away from my office door, I walk on my lunch then eat at my desk, I walk my dogs every night, housework, on non gym days I walk for a half hour on our bike path etc.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    rj0150684 wrote: »
    My (minimum) goal is 12k/day with an average of around 16 and a target of 20.

Same here. My Garmin vivotif watch is set to 12,000 steps a day/7 days a week. I read somewhere for weight loss the target should be 12k. For cardiovascular health the target should be 10k. I average 15k-16k on weekdays and 12-13k on weekends. Since I’m short (5’2”) with a low BMR and TDEE, I can eat more calories with all these steps without going to the gym and still lose weight :)

I get most of my weekday steps by walking during my lunch hour at work and if it’s nice weather walk outside after work. On weekends I go walking at my
    local park and or got to the mall and just walk around.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    12,000 on weekdays, 7,000 on weekends
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I remember when i first got my fitbit 4 years ago. I set my goal to 25k steps a day, my whole days were dedicated to getting those frickan steps in, there were times i was walking up and down my street like a crazy lady at 10 at night!
    Since then I've reduced to that goal to 20k, then 15k and am now set at 10,000 steps a day. I usually finish between 11-12k, i don't have to force walk any more, the pressure is off and makes walking enjoyable and not a stressful chore as it was in the beginning...