Restaurant calorie counts?

Options
What do you do when a restaurant's published calorie counts seem to be way too low? My work provides meals twice a week, and it is often Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut claims that one slice of medium regular crust pepperoni pizza is 220 calories, and that seems really low to me. I don't make pizza at home so I don't have any home recipes as a reference point. Of course I can bring meals, but it's kind of a bummer to always sit out on the provided meals when I could plan my day around it. Any advice appreciated!

Also, if you have any insider intel on how Pizza Hut might have come up with 220 calories per slice, PLEASE share. It's making me crazy.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are usually/ can be 20-40% inaccurate with their calorie counts. Why don’t you just log a little more to be safe and maybe bank some calories for that day? Just lower your fats and carbs for the rest of the day since that’s what pizza mostly is
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are usually/ can be 20-40% inaccurate with their calorie counts. Why don’t you just log a little more to be safe and maybe bank some calories for that day? Just lower your fats and carbs for the rest of the day since that’s what pizza mostly is

Yes, definitely eat lower calorie/eat higher protein the rest of the day so I have some room without being ravenous by the time the meal gets there. My concern is more about how do you estimate when you think the restaurant’s estimate is wrong. 40% more seems more correct in this case, thanks!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    When I look up calories on the PH website, they show 250 calories for a medium pepperoni pan pizza slice and 200 calories for a medium pepperoni thin crust.

Calories are relatively low because PH medium pies are pretty small (12") all things considered. 1/8 of that size pie is pretty much nothing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What do you do when a restaurant's published calorie counts seem to be way too low? My work provides meals twice a week, and it is often Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut claims that one slice of medium regular crust pepperoni pizza is 220 calories, and that seems really low to me. I don't make pizza at home so I don't have any home recipes as a reference point. Of course I can bring meals, but it's kind of a bummer to always sit out on the provided meals when I could plan my day around it. Any advice appreciated!

Also, if you have any insider intel on how Pizza Hut might have come up with 220 calories per slice, PLEASE share. It's making me crazy.

that sounds about right... pizza hut pizzas are quite small and cut into lots of slices, so a whole pizza would be 1320 cals.