“Guesstimating” food calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I would quick add around 1000 calories. If you have a dessert as well add another 500.

Depends where she goes and the size of the portions.. most restaurant places are far more than 1000 calories for an entree.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would either find something comparable and add another two or three hundred to it or say " yeah that looks like 1300 calories and move on. After the sodium wears off the scale will tell you how well you are estimating. I actually got pretty good at guessing and using the scale to confirm my guessing accuracy. When guessing always aim high.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I would quick add around 1000 calories. If you have a dessert as well add another 500.

Depends where she goes and the size of the portions.. most restaurant places are far more than 1000 calories for an entree.

I was thinking of just the entree... and I'm also in UK where portions are usually smaller.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I pick the highest or 2nd highest calorie item that is similar in the database. Or, alternatively I eyeball it and quick add 1200-1800 calories depending on how huge the portions are and what all they have appeared to add to it. If it's a cheeseburger or something like that you could also dissect it and add each ingredient separately. +120 cals. for butter or oil.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a few different strategies for nights out.

If it's planned ahead of time I will save an extra 100-200 calories each day the week before.
    If it's last minute I will either eat light that day and the next day or just the next day if it's very last minute.
    Sometimes I will only have half my meal and save the other half for dinner or for my husband.
    I will often order salad, some restaurants have amazingly tasty salads, though they can be pretty calorific too.
    I will sometimes find a similar food in the database and log that.
    Other times I will just quick add 1000-1500 calories.
    Other times I will just eat light that day and not log that meal and just enjoy myself (in moderation) and jump back on the horse the next day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Find a similar entry in the database and log that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    I know, bottom line when losing weight is calories should never be guesstimated. But how would you go about doing it if you HAD TO?

Meh, personally I lost 3st estimating calories.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    After a while, most of is who have been rigid/ weighing and measuring food get to a point we know what servings of things look like. I agree with the people that state to use something in the database that is close, but nothing can take the place of several years of experience. Many body builders do this. Most have been tracking macros/calories for years. Just my 2 cents....
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I find that a lot of restaurants have items listed in the MFP database. I had to guesstimate last week after attending a taco bar birthday bash for someone. I did the best I could and then forgot about it. Next day I was back on track.
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate when I go out to eat. Just find something similar and know one night won’t ruin progress if you’re a little off. Truth be told, after working years in the restaurant industry I’ve learned that even the nutritional info on the menu and online is often inaccurate. Nothing, food or drinks, are made the same exact way every time with the proper amounts of ingredients and sizes of food can differ greatly, etc. So really every time you go out to eat it’s all guesstimation.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    My rule is that I always log what I eat. I don't take a break from logging. I don't quick add instead of logging items; only in addition sometimes when I feel like amounts are probably on the low side. Being accurate is important but not always practical or possible. Logging everything is more important to me than complete accuracy. I don't want to start making exceptions.