For those that skip breakfast...

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
...what is it about skipping breakfast that gets people all worked up? I casually mentioned to someone that I skip breakfast and I heard wow that is not good for you, you shouldn't do that, it's not good for you, was I okay, etc. etc. etc.

I was kind of taken aback at how strong their opinions were about breakfast:)

Replies

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I spent years not eating breakfast. I don't get all the fuss either. At the end of the day some people like to eat 6 meals a day, some like to eat 2. As long as you're hitting your weight targets, and eating enough of the right nutrients, why does it matter.

(Although I would point out that now, I find it difficult to not eat breakfast during the week. Otherwise I'm ravenous by lunch. But on Sundays, I rarely eat breakfast. Soooooooo)
  • beccapax
    beccapax Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast because it bothered my stomach. I would just eat an early lunch at about 11. But, then I quit drinking coffee and switched to tea, which will legit make me sick if I drink it on an empty stomach. Therefore, I started eating something light for breakfast - like an Oatmega bar or Greek yogurt. Anecdotally, I have found that I definitely eat a lot less during lunch and afternoon snack, and I no longer have as many dizzy spells from low blood sugar.

My younger son also does not like to eat breakfast, so I give him a protein drink instead. He also has blood sugar crashes, and breakfast has made a big difference for him. To each their own, of course - some people have no issues whatsoever skipping breakfast. I went most of my life without it.

ETA - people used to get on me ALL THE TIME about skipping breakfast, lol - who knows? Everyone thinks they're an expert.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The 'someone' that you said that to you is just one person's opinion. This person may have grown up eating breakfast all their life and believe it to be true that skipping breakfast is bad, not good, etc.

I don't actually skip breakfast I just don't eat mine until way later in the morning, but I did grow up eating breakfast early in the morning, now I can't eat that early as an adult.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A few years ago when the whole "boosting" your metabolism movement started, one of the early tips was to always eat breakfast. I am not saying it is correct, but in my experience it is still widely believed.
  • kds10
    Options

Because Kellogg's has been telling us for years that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. (It isn't) And, media outlets and TV doctor's like Dr. Oz have been telling us that it helps boost your metabolism for the day. (It doesn't).Then, they come out with these "studies" that correlate breakfast eaters with lower weights, and breakfast skippers with higher weights. Then "they" (whoever they are) post an article on MSN to the tune of " 5 Reasons Doctor's Recommend You Eat Breakfast Every Day. Plus, 5 Delicious Recipes to Get You Started" What they don't do is look into other variables that could cause the results they are seeing. It's all very individual as to how one feels when they eat or don't eat breakfast. Or how they go about getting any of their calories in for that matter. One meal a day? Two? Five? It's all about what will help one stick to their calorie goals through the day.

ETA: The only reason they feel so strongly about how important breakfast is, is because we have been spoon fed that information by the media for generatoins.

But....it says here:

https://fitnea.com/7-reasons-you-should-never-skip-breakfast/

:wink:
  • kds10
    Options
    I know crazy, I have more than enough energy to do my workout on an empty stomach in the morning as well the point about eating breakfast will make you less hungry during the day...ummmm...never worked for me.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    The only thing that annoys me about people saying they skip breakfast is it's impossible to skip breakfast unless they don't eat at all that day. Breakfast is simply the first meal of the day, be it as soon as you get out of bed or 5 hours later. What people actually mean is they don't eat as soon as they get up, or they don't eat what is considered a breakfast meal.

While this is the true definition of breakfast, I don't believe society holds it to this definition. It's like an unspoken acknowledgement that breakfast has the definition of "A meal eaten in the morning."

Be annoyed or not..this is what the majority of society thinks.