Struggling with Knee Issues

Options
Shadow87
Shadow87 Posts: 27 Member
I've been trying to lose weight for years, but normally one of my knees acts up and I give in to the pain. I know the cause (essentially a genetic version of runners knee I've suffered with since I was a kid), and of course he major way to help is always "lose weight," but it's very frustrating to always hear that, knowing that the only reason you GAINED was because of the very same problem. I've changed my diet (eating more veggies/real food, less frozen and junk food) and lost 20 lbs, but I'm starting to get to that point where I NEED to add exercise to keep going down, yet everything that I've tried so far throws my knee into a fit (with or without a brace). Even just walking or biking aggravates it, and I only work Part Time so don't have the money to join a water aerobics class or go to physical therapy or anything like that. Any tips on how to incorporate non knee heavy exercises to lose weight, and any good knee STRENGTHENING exercises to help finally break this cycle? I refuse to let it beat me, again, for the 3002nd time :smiley:

Replies

• AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I found some good knee strengthening exercises for my knees by just googling it. I have condromalacia patella, so I've been trying to do some exercises to help the alignment of my knee cap. Some of them are supposed to strengthen the muscles on the inside of my knee to help with that. Also any exercises that strengthen the quads, backs of legs, etc., should help with alignment, which could help some knee issues.
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had knee issues for the past several years and will forever have knee issues. I have in the past used resistance bands to strengthen the upper and lower leg to put less strain on my actual knee. I use a knee brace and go walking every day. Unless I go too far, that doesn't hurt me. Maybe start with just a little walk a few times a day?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i suppose it would have to do with what the particular knee issue is.
    to strengthen my knees and ankles i do squats, lunges, hike, trail run
    but you should discuss with your dr or pt what the best plan is to help with your particular knee issue
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Shadow87 wrote: »
    I've been trying to lose weight for years, but normally one of my knees acts up and I give in to the pain. I know the cause (essentially a genetic version of runners knee I've suffered with since I was a kid), and of course he major way to help is always "lose weight," but it's very frustrating to always hear that, knowing that the only reason you GAINED was because of the very same problem. I've changed my diet (eating more veggies/real food, less frozen and junk food) and lost 20 lbs, but I'm starting to get to that point where I NEED to add exercise to keep going down, yet everything that I've tried so far throws my knee into a fit (with or without a brace). Even just walking or biking aggravates it, and I only work Part Time so don't have the money to join a water aerobics class or go to physical therapy or anything like that. Any tips on how to incorporate non knee heavy exercises to lose weight, and any good knee STRENGTHENING exercises to help finally break this cycle? I refuse to let it beat me, again, for the 3002nd time :smiley:

the only reason you gained was that you consumed more calories that you burned. If a physical injury or condition results in a lower bur, you must lower consumption to compensate. there is no point at which you need to add exercise. You can lose weight without any exercise. It takes discipline at the table not to exceed your burn.

To elaborate on this, if you're having trouble hitting a particular calorie goal without exercise, you may need to play more with macro ratios and meal timings in order to be more satisfied. Usually that involves increasing bulk and fat and protein, but everyone is different.
  • Shadow87
    Options
    OK, First. Runner's knee isn't a real thing.
    Second: "Runner's knee" is any of 100 different conditions caused by weakness or strength imbalance occurring somewhere between the ankle and the neck.

So, If possible, see a doctor. Then a PT(physical therapist), because without knowing exactly what/where you aren't strong enough or are too strong, any tips here aren't going to actually lead you to a solution. Your insurance should cover the PT.

I have seen a doctor, several times, and I know what I have...it's just to complicated to spell so I used the generic term he told me as well...and I point back to the part time sentence as sadly that means I don't HAVE any insurance to go back to a dr or PT (which even when I had it, I still had to pay a crazy amount out of pocket outside of insurance so didn't do that for long even when I could...
  • stanmann571
    Options
    OK, First. Runner's knee isn't a real thing.
    Second: "Runner's knee" is any of 100 different conditions caused by weakness or strength imbalance occurring somewhere between the ankle and the neck.

So, If possible, see a doctor. Then a PT(physical therapist), because without knowing exactly what/where you aren't strong enough or are too strong, any tips here aren't going to actually lead you to a solution. Your insurance should cover the PT.

I have seen a doctor, several times, and I know what I have...it's just to complicated to spell so I used the generic term he told me as well...and I point back to the part time sentence as sadly that means I don't HAVE any insurance to go back to a dr or PT (which even when I had it, I still had to pay a crazy amount out of pocket outside of insurance so didn't do that for long even when I could...

If you know what you have, and what you need to do, Do that.

Or spell it out here, and maybe someone with the same thing can give you some additional tips for exercises.

For example. MY runner's knee, is a glute/quad imbalance with hypermobility in my knee and tightness in my hip flexors.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Swimming, swimming, swimming. Find a pool with a water bike and strengthen the muscles/tendons around your knee cap. Use water weights for your arms while your pedaling away. Then walk backwards in the pool and step up and down on the injured knee on a step in the pool if you can find one...usually in the therapy pool. Start slowly and gently work up. I have a bum knee that I rehabbed this way. You've got to stop the impact before you do more damage. I also use unflavored collagen peptides in my morning coffee and evening tea. I think they help. They've certainly helped my hair and skin, too.
  • Shadow87
    Options

the only reason you gained was that you consumed more calories that you burned. If a physical injury or condition results in a lower bur, you must lower consumption to compensate. there is no point at which you need to add exercise. You can lose weight without any exercise. It takes discipline at the table not to exceed your burn.

that's not always the case actually. I've struggled with eating ENOUGH calories at times (I can go a day or more without eating at all), or eating 1200-1400 calories to compensate for being less active for months now (I'm 5'11" and 237 lbs...my maintain weight calories according to MFP is around 22-2500) and still gain weight- a lovely trait I got from my dad and his side of the family- so I do in fact need to be active and exercise to lose weight, and my knee so far has kept me from doing that, hence my saying that I gained due to my bad knee
  • stanmann571
    Options

that's not always the case actually. I've struggled with eating ENOUGH calories at times (I can go a day or more without eating at all), or eating 1200-1400 calories to compensate for being less active for months now (I'm 5'11" and 237 lbs...my maintain weight calories according to MFP is around 22-2500) and still gain weight- a lovely trait I got from my dad and his side of the family- so I do in fact need to be active and exercise to lose weight, and my knee so far has kept me from doing that, hence my saying that I gained due to my bad knee

What you need to do is maintain a deficit.

Without knowing how you're tracking your calories, it's impossible to give more advice.

Your original comment suggests that you're probably not tracking all that accurately, since you made no mention of using a scale to track intake.

There's nothing wrong with frozen food. Veggies are good, as far as that goes, but you can overeat on "good food" just as easily as on "bad food"

So, get a handle on what you're actually eating, and you should drop the weight quite easily. And unless you're literally bedridden, your maintain calories are way higher than 2500.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    as @Mari22na said, swimming is the one basically ZERO impact activity that you can do.

Also as said a couple of times already, exercise and weight loss have nothing to do with each other. You eat less to lose weight, exercise to achieve health/fitness goals. You can and will lose weight by eating at a deficit. Exercise can give you a little cushion and a few extra calories to use if you want to eat more but you still have to eat less than you burn regardless of your activity level.

Don't feel like you have to exercise. If the extra weight is holding you back right now, why not wait until you lose enough so the knee problem isn't exacerbated by walking or whatnot?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Ayup, low impact. You can run in place in the pool but still feel it in your joints if you overdo. Jumping up and down, ditto. Swimming and the therapy pool turned everything around for me. Someone here asked me if I wrestled men. No, but I swim for about 2 hours almost every day. It's one of the best exercises for replacing body fat with muscle. I lift heavy things, too.
  • Shadow87
    Options

Without knowing how you're tracking your calories, it's impossible to give more advice.

Your original comment suggests that you're probably not tracking all that accurately, since you made no mention of using a scale to track intake.

There's nothing wrong with frozen food. Veggies are good, as far as that goes, but you can overeat on "good food" just as easily as on "bad food"

So, get a handle on what you're actually eating, and you should drop the weight quite easily. And unless you're literally bedridden, your maintain calories are way higher than 2500.

I use MFP to track and put everything I eat on here, and I weigh myself every day-though I know weight fluctuates so only focus on Tuesday to see overall weight loss/gain, and measure inches once a week to track what weight doesn't show. And in regards to the frozen food I was talking about, I was more talking about the Gluten Free frozen foods I was eating before-I hate cooking and being GF makes it that much more expensive to buy all the weird flours and such. I've only just started eating vegetables as of April, and am still getting acclimated to them honestly, and TRYING to cut back on how much meat I eat, as hard as it is... and according to another calorie calculator I just looked at (and put in sedentary for lifestyle):
    "You need 2,263 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
    You need 1,763 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
    You need 1,263 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week."

so this is what I've been going off of for the most part-and I eat waaaay below the first 2 unless I force myself to eat more cause I worry I'm not getting enough
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Or spell it out here, and maybe someone with the same thing can give you some additional tips for exercises.

For example. MY runner's knee, is a glute/quad imbalance with hypermobility in my knee and tightness in my hip flexors.

For example. My patellofemoral pain and bone-on-bone grinding is due to patellar tracking syndrome. I find that consistent cycling strengthens the musculature surround my knee cap, stabilizes the knee and alleviates the pain.
  • stanmann571
    Options

I use MFP to track and put everything I eat on here, and I weigh myself every day-though I know weight fluctuates so only focus on Tuesday to see overall weight loss/gain, and measure inches once a week to track what weight doesn't show. And in regards to the frozen food I was talking about, I was more talking about the Gluten Free frozen foods I was eating before-I hate cooking and being GF makes it that much more expensive to buy all the weird flours and such. I've only just started eating vegetables as of April, and am still getting acclimated to them honestly, and TRYING to cut back on how much meat I eat, as hard as it is... and according to another calorie calculator I just looked at (and put in sedentary for lifestyle):

so this is what I've been going off of for the most part-and I eat waaaay below the first 2 unless I force myself to eat more cause I worry I'm not getting enough

What condition do you have that requires GF?

• Shadow87
    Options

What condition do you have that requires GF?

I'm Celiac
  • Shadow87
    Options

For example. My patellofemoral pain and bone-on-bone grinding is due to patellar tracking syndrome. I find that consistent cycling strengthens the musculature surround my knee cap, stabilizes the knee and alleviates the pain.

I've tried what the the PT I went to for a short while showed me for almost a year now and it's gotten worse. Any bend at all in my left knee for the past few months causes a sharp pain just under the kneecap, and I don't have insurance to go see a doctor as to why the previous exercises never helped, thus turning to the interwebs in hopes of someone sparking an "oh I haven't tried that" moment...Desperate times and all that...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    as @Mari22na said, swimming is the one basically ZERO impact activity that you can do.

However, dispensing on the actual condition swimming might exacerbate it. The issue about terminology is a very useful point. Random advice about what to do could easily make the problem worse. The right mediation for anterior issues can make posterior worse, and vice versa.
  • stanmann571
    edited May 2018
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »

However, dispensing on the actual condition swimming might exacerbate it. The issue about terminology is a very useful point. Random advice about what to do could easily make the problem worse. The right mediation for anterior issues can make posterior worse, and vice versa.

Generally speaking, strengthening the entire chain from ankles to shoulders with multijoint exercises isn't a bad idea, but depending on where the imbalance is, ATG squats may be recommended or contraindicated. Ditto quarter squats, or band walks or unilateral foot raises.

IF you KNOW that there's not an underlying issue/injury and you're only dealing with an imbalance or strength issue, then walking or squatting with moderate support(compression/wrap) followed by ice and heat may be acceptable.

But unless you KNOW that there's not an injury that you're exacerbating/masking with compression/ice/heat, then you may just be walking/running/lifting yourself into a serious injury.