Options
2»

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Worrying about leaner or stronger is majoring in the minors for now. Focus on getting yourself into condition to perform satisfactorily in all legs.

This means focus on training for the actual events themselves. Cross training is helpful, but not as helpful as active training for the running, riding, or swimming portions.

Also, go hardest on your worst activity. For most of us that's the swimming (especially open water swimming). Human tendency is to only practice the things that we're already good at. Do not do this.

Good advice, I’m glad the swim is first. I just ordered my wetsuit this week. I’m ready for it as far as endurance goes. I’m just nervous for the open water.

You can't win the race during the swim, but the swim can definitely ruin the race for you. IMO, if you struggle in the swim, start at the back and find clear water as quickly as you can. Then just work to get into your rhythm and manage the turns and congestion that comes with them.

I treat the swim as my sacrifical lamb, if you will. I'm more than happy to give up 10 or 15 seconds letting people get past me and/or getting out of the way if it means a less miserable swim leg. I'm almost always one of the last in my group coming out of the water.. it's not hard to make up that time though.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. That’ll be my strategy for the swim.

Sprints are a lot of fun! Sounds like you have a strong endurance base going into the race, so a bit of swim focus should do the trick for you.

Great swim suggestion above, to which I'll add my 2 cents: If you've never used a wetsuit before, you'll be pleasantly surprised with how well you'll float while wearing one. This will allow you to swim comfortably with minimal (or even no) leg effort. You may even decide to take advantage of drafting by finding a swimmer of similar abilities and then following right on the feet of that swimmer during the race. Let the other swimmer do the work to part the water and you glide in their wake, helping to save energy for the bike and the run. :)

Good luck.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Worrying about leaner or stronger is majoring in the minors for now. Focus on getting yourself into condition to perform satisfactorily in all legs.

This means focus on training for the actual events themselves. Cross training is helpful, but not as helpful as active training for the running, riding, or swimming portions.

Also, go hardest on your worst activity. For most of us that's the swimming (especially open water swimming). Human tendency is to only practice the things that we're already good at. Do not do this.

Good advice, I’m glad the swim is first. I just ordered my wetsuit this week. I’m ready for it as far as endurance goes. I’m just nervous for the open water.

You can't win the race during the swim, but the swim can definitely ruin the race for you. IMO, if you struggle in the swim, start at the back and find clear water as quickly as you can. Then just work to get into your rhythm and manage the turns and congestion that comes with them.

I treat the swim as my sacrifical lamb, if you will. I'm more than happy to give up 10 or 15 seconds letting people get past me and/or getting out of the way if it means a less miserable swim leg. I'm almost always one of the last in my group coming out of the water.. it's not hard to make up that time though.

Sprints are a lot of fun! Sounds like you have a strong endurance base going into the race, so a bit of swim focus should do the trick for you.

Great swim suggestion above, to which I'll add my 2 cents: If you've never used a wetsuit before, you'll be pleasantly surprised with how well you'll float while wearing one. This will allow you to swim comfortably with minimal (or even no) leg effort. You may even decide to take advantage of drafting by finding a swimmer of similar abilities and then following right on the feet of that swimmer during the race. Let the other swimmer do the work to part the water and you glide in their wake, helping to save energy for the bike and the run. :)

Good luck.

If your swim form isn't great, the benefits of a wetsuit CAN NOT BE OVERSTATED. The added buoyancy is almost like having a motor assisting you.
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! My wet suit gets here today so I’ll be doing some open water swims soon!
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    LEANER. This will allow you to be faster on the bike and the run. In fact, a critical part of triathlon training is losing weight for exactly this reason.
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just tried my wetsuit on and I’m going to have to lean up
  • nhorton5
    nhorton5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You seem to have a good base already and clearly are good on the bike and run so...

Having just recently done my first triathlon (and not being great swimmer) I would say go out and practice in the open water as much as you can! It's so different to being in a pool and until you're out there you don't know how you are going to cope mentally. I freaked out on my first go. I couldn't see the black line, had a panic about not being able to rest on the wall if I needed to, didn't want to put my face in the water, hated the thought of touching weeds and/or fish, couldn't deal with the current... and the salt water was the straw that broke the camels back!!

Practice having people swim over you, grabbing at your legs and feet, knocking your googles off etc. Also practice having to replace your googles while swimming and sighting for buoys. Practicing breathing to both sides and also in front.

When it comes to race day, hold back on the swim and if you need to go wide to avoid the 'dolphins'. Swim your own race and don't let yourself get inside your head. Relax and breathe :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

Good luck.

unless you are me who almost swims worse with a wetsuit...i kid you not :)
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    re: WETSUITS - please please please make sure you can do the swim distance without the aid of one - i can't count the number of times that water has been too warm for wetsuits (USAT rules 76deg) and there has been a freak out because someone couldn't wear one
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    re: WETSUITS - please please please make sure you can do the swim distance without the aid of one - i can't count the number of times that water has been too warm for wetsuits (USAT rules 76deg) and there has been a freak out because someone couldn't wear one

I've been in a couple of races where water temp was too high for wetsuits. I don't ever remember people NOT being allowed to wear them, only that they wouldn't be eligible for prize/points/podium spots if they did, and anyone who really cares about those things probably doesn't NEED a wetsuit to complete the distance.

Perhaps that's not the case with all races, but that's been my experience. Regardless, the advice is good - be able to do the distance, then let the wetsuit benefits be a bonus rather than a necessity.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

I've been in a couple of races where water temp was too high for wetsuits. I don't ever remember people NOT being allowed to wear them, only that they wouldn't be eligible for prize/points/podium spots if they did, and anyone who really cares about those things probably doesn't NEED a wetsuit to complete the distance.

Perhaps that's not the case with all races, but that's been my experience. Regardless, the advice is good - be able to do the distance, then let the wetsuit benefits be a bonus rather than a necessity.

76deg they are optional (can't qualify for any awards); 83 deg and not allowed - as its a health risk of overheating

when i did quantico sprint a couple years ago the water temp was 84 deg - it was seriously like bathwater...but when they made the annoucement there were groans through-out and a freak out less than 200yds into the swim by someone unprepared to do it without a wetsuit
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    wow... I can't imagine water being/getting that warm!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

76deg they are optional (can't qualify for any awards); 83 deg and not allowed - as its a health risk of overheating

when i did quantico sprint a couple years ago the water temp was 84 deg - it was seriously like bathwater...but when they made the annoucement there were groans through-out and a freak out less than 200yds into the swim by someone unprepared to do it without a wetsuit

If you entered IMMT like I've been begging you to do, I GUARANTEE the water will be wetsuit legal, even if you don't wear one! :p