Ask A Guy With Six Years Experience In Caregiving

Options
13»

Replies

• toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Some of these questions are super disrespectful IMO. Maybe I’m just a little sensitive because these people are my life...but I don’t think so. Don’t get me wrong, there are some hilarious times/stories but these people are all WAY freakin more than some dirty briefs and memory loss.

This Is true yes

Agreed. I respond to calls at Senior Care facilities frequently. It is terrible to hear how some people regard them. Yes, some might be difficult to work with at times. But, every one of them deserves respect and care as if they are our parents, grandparents or even ourselves when we get to that age.

There's some great moments on these calls, joking around with them to lighten the mood, or knowing we're there to help. Have even been cat-called by a group of ladies in the hall a time or two. :lol:

Sadly, it's not all good times.

I like you
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I like you both! I worked at a nursing home in my mid-late teen years, and have had a soft spot for the elderly ever since. I am now 55 and still love 'em and can relate to them whether they are "with it" or not . . . . and I will be one of them before I know it. If I didn't have to work full-time, I would spend many hours listening to the stories of those who can still tell them.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I like you both! I worked at a nursing home in my mid-late teen years, and have had a soft spot for the elderly ever since. I am now 55 and still love 'em and can relate to them whether they are "with it" or not . . . . and I will be one of them before I know it. If I didn't have to work full-time, I would spend many hours listening to the stories of those who can still tell them.

I love listening to stories told by older people. Their lifetime of experience can be fascinating
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    Some of these questions are super disrespectful IMO. Maybe I’m just a little sensitive because these people are my life...but I don’t think so. Don’t get me wrong, there are some hilarious times/stories but these people are all WAY freakin more than some dirty briefs and memory loss.

This Is true yes

Agreed. I respond to calls at Senior Care facilities frequently. It is terrible to hear how some people regard them. Yes, some might be difficult to work with at times. But, every one of them deserves respect and care as if they are our parents, grandparents or even ourselves when we get to that age.

There's some great moments on these calls, joking around with them to lighten the mood, or knowing we're there to help. Have even been cat-called by a group of ladies in the hall a time or two. :lol:

I like you

Thank you. I like you too, and thank you for what you do. :)

bojack3 wrote: »

I love listening to stories told by older people. Their lifetime of experience can be fascinating

Agreed. It's been many, many years since. But, I remember meeting my maternal Grandpa and his friends at the diner Saturday mornings for breakfast. Listening to their stories, learning, and being amazed by it all. Same with my paternal Grandmother about her life and raising my dad as a single mother in the 40's and 50's since Grandpa was killed in WW2.

Most recently, a couple of years ago, I was at The Globe and Laurel in Quantico with some Marine friends of mine. Great times, loved hearing the stories from everyone there. It's been 28 years since I got out. But, still enjoy the stories.

• bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

This Is true yes

I like you

Agreed. It's been many, many years since. But, I remember meeting my maternal Grandpa and his friends at the diner Saturday mornings for breakfast. Listening to their stories, learning, and being amazed by it all. Same with my paternal Grandmother about her life and raising my dad as a single mother in the 40's and 50's since Grandpa was killed in WW2.

Most recently, a couple of years ago, I was at The Globe and Laurel in Quantico with some Marine friends of mine. Great times, loved hearing the stories from everyone there. It's been 28 years since I got out. But, still enjoy the stories.

Very cool. We were in the Corp around the same time. Semper Fi Devil Dog!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I keep reading this as “Sex Years”.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

This Is true yes

I like you

Very cool. We were in the Corp around the same time. Semper Fi Devil Dog!

Semper Fi! Always good to meet fellow Marines.
  • 2VORNT2V
    2VORNT2V Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    How do I buy your caregiving services?
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    2VORNT2V wrote: »
    How do I buy your caregiving services?

Have dementia?