Options
2»

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    ErinKay_RN wrote: »
    ErinKay_RN wrote: »
    Gosh, thanks everyone for the input! I think it's doable but the two biggest barriers for me are my irregular work schedule and the humidity. I went out early today and the humidity was killing me! I jogged a straight two miles then walked/jogged the last 1.3. I think if I'd had forced myself to keep jogging I could have went at least 2.5 straight, but my breathing was harder than usual due to the humidity so I thought I'd take a little break and then jog the rest of the way, but then it ended up being harder to get back into my groove. It looks like we're gonna get a break from the heat soon so I'll definitely be trying to increase my mileage. I also found when I was running before that once I got to 4 miles, it was relatively easy to increase to 5. Five definitely left my legs feeling a little Jello the first time but I also felt from there it was going to be easier to increase over time, but like I said I became pregnant and it didn't happen. So I guess my goal right now is to get to 5 miles and then perhaps I'll look into a half training program. I'm not sure if I'll make it in October, I'm going to try but not be disappointed if I'm not ready yet. I'll just look for another one a little further out. I'm going to do this.

I would worry way less than you are about walking parts of it, especially at this point in your distance. You are over thinking it big time! The humidity is tough and will slow you to a walk often, but since your run is in October this will work in your favor because most likely it will be a little cooler by then so you will have worked and trained in the hardest months. As you progress and your runs get longer you’ll realize that putting in the miles is what matters.

You nailed it, I'm a serious overthinker. I know for sure as it cools down it will improve everything about my runs. I think it's just really frustrating for me starting over.

It will come back to you quicker than you think! Almost everyone is starting over, Heck I am going to be starting over even though I just ran my half in March... because I have only hiked since then and injured my knee training for my next run.

The first five miles is the slowest because our bodies are readjusting to running, but the miles after that come progressively easier. That’s why the training plans don’t call for you to do the whole 13 before race day, because we don’t need it, our bodies can at that point increase mileage easier (within reason obviously).
  • Wiedzma_Agata
    Wiedzma_Agata Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    Have you thought about using a run-walk-run strategy?
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

Very good idea. Most runners have walking breaks during the race anyway.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    Have you thought about using a run-walk-run strategy?
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

Some of those run-walk people helped me improve my time. At about mile 12, I got passed by a group and I figured if they had the energy to do that at this point, I probably did too and I sped up and paced them. About 5 minutes later, one of them looked at her watch and said "and... walk" and they all started walking. I kept running at their run pace, committed to not letting them catch me again. Shaved a couple of minutes off the pace I had been at (I had been staying with a pace runner before that).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Did a whole marathon that method once when the training was lacking from injury but already paid for it.
    Of course kept seeing same group of people as I'd pass and be passed, but near the last 4-6 miles I outpaced all the regulars.

I had done some training to see what ratio exactly worked out to be faster than just running slower. I'd have to look it up for me, but it allowed keeping the faster better running economy pace that had already been determined through testing.