Mind Blown! Serious diet confusion

Options
My daily allotment on MFP is 1450. If I were to follow the weight watchers program my daily allotment of points would be 25. I just did a comparison to see how many WW points I am consuming (was thinking of doing WW) and my 975 calories (which yes is low and I haven't even finished logging for the day) is 37 POINTS!!!! I'm stunned! I mean isn't that like a mortal WW sin?!?! This confuses the crap out of me. It makes me question everything!

Replies

• skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    skrakalaka wrote: »
    I almost starved to death on WW. I also ate way too many bananas because they were zero points back then. I was miserable.

Ah yes, the bananas and the mystery of the points :) Back on points plus when WW still had their boards, bananas were a 0 point fruit, unless you put them in a recipe where they suddenly acquired a point value. Every day there were new "WTF my 5-banana smoothie has 20 points! What's wrong with the recipe builder??" threads.

There was actually an explanation if you searched for it, but mostly people wanted to logic through it on their own. Some of those threads were as good as our ACV ones!

Edit: To be fair, WW doesn't just post the 0 points list and leave you to use it any way you want. They have detailed instructions for how to use the program, and can be a useful tool for people who are satiated eating lower fat, and need incentive to stay away from high calorie trigger foods.

I think I missed the instruction part
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I tried WW years ago and thought i'd shoot myself i was so miserable. and they're always changing they're plan for marketing. i vote you do this.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I realized that an ounce of skim milk and an ounce of lager had the same points...that was in the last iteration of the program, not this one, but it was my first clue that something very wrong had happened to the points system.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Well... as per WW I only have 3 points left out of 23, but only ate 658 calories out of 1370 (protein shake and peach for breakfast, chips, coleslaw, mashed potato and gravy for lunch). Crazy huh?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I know there is at least one ex-WW group on here. I suggest you look them up.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I did WW many years ago and found it way to restrictive and lasted a week. I had breakfast and there went my points for the day, really? I have tried other diets as well and found I could not eat like that forever and always always put back any weight I lost and then some.

I think there is some confusion with the word diet. Diet to me has an end, you follow the diet until you reach your goal, if you can reach your goal. Then you end the diet and revert back to where you were. You were really never taught to eat properly. Now my diet is truly not a diet in a the above sense of the word. I eat what I want and track the calories and macros to meet my goals. My original goal was to lose weight (320lbs to 185lbs), so I ate towards that goal using MFP to track and was consuming 1300-1600 cals per day. I allowed my self some indulgences and never worried about just made them fit. My new goal is bulking and putting on LBM so I have more than doubled my calories at this point and am consuming about 3300 per day now. Again tracking and monitoring the results. Believe it or not the first 2 weeks eating 3300 plus cals a day I still dropped 2 lbs.