Was anyone else impacted by the myfitnesspal data breach?

Options
Misty_1375
Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
Hey all! I know the data breach happened a couple months back but I think I'm still seeing ramifications from it. Just had to lock a credit card yesterday because someone had been trying to login to my account over and over with a Nexxus Shamu phone, never heard of that phone, since March. Where does that phone come from anyway? Ridiculous that Chase never called to let me know but anyway, just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them?

Side note: this impacted about 6 accounts.

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    You have six accounts? So baller
  • Misty_1375
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    You have six accounts? So baller

Acoounts meaning email, 401k, PayPal.
  • Misty_1375
    Options
    7H3_J0K3R wrote: »
    The only impact it's had on me is having to see the "Notice of Data Breach" every damn time I'm on my Home page.

I know! Really wish once you read it the message would go away
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I honestly never got notifications of anybody trying to log in to my accounts. The password I originally had was one of my main passwords too, but mostly for stuff that doesn't involve credit cards. I did change all my major accounts' passwords (PayPal, eBay, Chase, Gmail) just in case, but the password otherwise was probably connected to sites that were one time things I signed up for and then forgot about.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Don't do business online, but got email from several diet and exercise sites. Not sure they came from the breach, but all in a week or 10 days after, so probably.
  • Misty_1375
    Options
    Unfortunately I was unaware of it as I just started using MFP again. I was using Carb Manager. Who in the hell uses a “Shamu” phone anyway...lol.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    grm10375 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I was unaware of it as I just started using MFP again. I was using Carb Manager. Who in the hell uses a “Shamu” phone anyway...lol.

Whales gotta call mom sometimes too. Gah.....
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use extremely complex passwords even for this thing. I recently purchased some jewelry for my wife for Christmas. Within days of that purchase my credit card bank called to ask if a flat screen purchased in Arizona was mine. Nope. The previous 4 purchases were not mine either. I'm convinced that someone in the back office at the jewelry store attempted that and many other frauds. Even if all the banks get together and prosecute such crimes there shall never be an end of it. I even use false data for those "mothers maiden name" things. I've got too many crooks who know that in my own family.

I read in a newspaper this morning that the U.S. FBI was advising everyone to reboot their router. Just as I got mine turned off, I had the chilling thought, "What if the FBI has installed a 'launch on boot' virus? I don't doubt they could and would.
  • Misty_1375
    Options
    grm10375 wrote: »
    Hey all! I know the data breach happened a couple months back but I think I'm still seeing ramifications from it. Just had to lock a credit card yesterday because someone had been trying to login to my account over and over with a Nexxus Shamu phone, never heard of that phone, since March. Where does that phone come from anyway? Ridiculous that Chase never called to let me know but anyway, just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them?

Side note: this impacted about 6 accounts.

Only hackers know what a Nexus Shamu even is. I've got my eye on you, Sparky. You and your filthy home cooked ROMs ended the N64 as we knew it. :expressionless:

@lavinia_whateley_goals because she knows what's up

Hmmmm, since you that tidbit of info about hackers knowing that phone....you a hacker...lol

• LovePositivity
    LovePositivity Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The Nexus Shamu is a phone. It's actually called a Nexus 6. It's an Android phone and general population doesn't know anything about the Nexus line of phone's (That no longer exist)
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I use a unique password/username for MFP, so I havent had any issues so far. All my sensitive accounts like banking and shopping are all completely different. Not mention I dont associate any private information like my real name or anything like that with MFP.