Am I wasting my time?

I've been really wanting to increase my strength training lately, and have been sort of waiting until my weight got down a bit so that I could eat at maintenance and be happy with my body in the mean time, but this week I've started the Body Beast workout by Beachbody (not doing any of their supplements or other stuff - just the workout) and as I still have about 4kg to lose before I am at my (totally arbitrary) goal, I am still eating at a deficit. Not a massive deficit, but enough that I'm worrying I'm just wasting my time with the workouts as my muscles won't have enough fuel available to them to grow.

My stats:
161 cm
62.5kg (no, I'm not technically overweight, I know - just want to get down a wee bit more to feel good)
Currently eating around 1500 calories per day and trying to get around 115-120 grams of protein in.

So....should I bag the program until I've lost the weight or is there still value in what I'm doing?

Replies

• jshaw2025
    jshaw2025 Posts: 61 Member
    If the number is truly arbitrary then why not focus on your strength training? It's easier to cut fat when you have more muscle mass.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    you should definitely strength train while you're in a deficit, to help reduce muscle loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2018
    So....should I bag the program until I've lost the weight or is there still value in what I'm doing?

There is zero value in waiting!

Strength training in a deficit is one of the strongest signals to retain muscle mass - what are you doing now for strength training and is this in addition or instead?
    You will arrive at goal weight stronger, fitter and more conditioned to exercise.
    It's entirely possible to gain some muscle in a (small) deficit.

The choice is to arrive at goal in the best shape you possibly can (by starting now) or arrive at goal and potentially be disappointed and unhappy that you don't look like you imagined you would.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Thanks for the input all. I have been exercising regularly for ages, incorporating some weight training 2-3 times a week, but not with any particular lifting focus like what I am doing now. Glad to hear you think it remains worthwhile to follow a more dedicated strength training program, I'll persevere and see how I go.
  • squirrelone
    squirrelone Posts: 58 Member
    I would add that it would probably not be a bad idea to shift some of your calories to a proper post workout meal, to make sure your muscles have something to work with.