Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Split routine and full body workouts

Hi,
Im currently 1.64m tall and 63.5kg. Ive got back into the gym recently, after about 5 years away from it. I wouldnt say im fat, but have a bit of excess that i want to lose, before i try to build muscle, as i know its hard to do both at once.
My split routine is over 5 days; chest and tris, back and bis, legs and abs, shoulders and arms, cardio and abs.
However, i work split shifts in work and every other week i can only really get to the gym 3 times. This means i miss working some muscles that week. My question is, if i was to do my 5 day split on one week, then the other week i did 2 days full body and one day cardio or 3 days full body would this work, so i can still work all muscles that week?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ste

Replies

• blinxmarps
    blinxmarps Posts: 4 Member
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i would do 3 x full body personally
  • stej5639
    stej5639 Posts: 57 Member
    blinxmarps wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. I like how i could use this idea in a 3 or 5 day training week. It keeps it simple too.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    stej5639 wrote: »
    I wouldnt say im fat, but have a bit of excess that i want to lose, before i try to build muscle, as i know its hard to do both at once.

Start lifting, eat high protein foods and you'll gain muscle and lose fat like any newbie.
    stej5639 wrote: »
    My question is, if i was to do my 5 day split on one week, then the other week i did 2 days full body and one day cardio or 3 days full body would this work, so i can still work all muscles that week?

I'd also stick to 3x full bodies, don't over complicate it.

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited May 2018
    Agree with the above. A bro split isn't recommended for pretty much anyone anymore, much less someone who can't get to the gym often as it is.

Eta grammar
  • stej5639
    stej5639 Posts: 57 Member
    Thanks for the advice. Think ill try switching to full bodies. I just didnt have a good routine for it and was worried about the recovery time if i was able to work out more.
    Cheers,
    Ste