snacking

Options
I am having a really hard time mostly in the afternoon snacking at my desk, I know I could eat healthier snacks and I do have some but it seems lately I have been having a hard time staying away from junk food. Any suggestions that might help or ideas that may give me the taste of something bad but with something good.

Replies

• ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue around 4-5pm.

My personal solution was to eat lunch later in the day. I've progressively eaten later and later each day. Started out lunching at 12. Now I eat lunch around 2pm. I also drinks lots of water/seltzer when I start to get hungry around that time. If it gets worse, I'll have a protein bar (Quest) and wash it down with water/seltzer and that seems to quell the hunger.
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have to try that buddy, I am also having issues as to what is really healthy and what is not. I think I need to have a talk with my doctor and figure some things out. I am considering buying one of thos water pitchers with the fruit defuser in it, i know i spelled that wrong. I am not a big fan of water but I think if it was flavored naturally with like orange or mint or something I would enjoy drinking it more.
  • barb_4857
    Options
    I am struggling with the same issue. Chips are my downfall. So I am getting almonds and pistachios. I will bring some of those to work each day to see if that helps with my craving something salty.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have to try that buddy, I am also having issues as to what is really healthy and what is not. I think I need to have a talk with my doctor and figure some things out. I am considering buying one of thos water pitchers with the fruit defuser in it, i know i spelled that wrong. I am not a big fan of water but I think if it was flavored naturally with like orange or mint or something I would enjoy drinking it more.

save your money, just buy a case of mason jars and put fresh fruit and/ or fruit juices in your water- and don't overlook the convenience of the water drops and drink packets

fiber one oat and chocolate bars will kill cravings for sweets and they keep you from being hungry because of the high fiber in them so keep a box of those in your desk
  • happywithme12
    Options
    The only issues I have with nuts is that if you look at the amount of calories in nuts it is pretty high, cause I love nuts and I also love dehydrated fruit as well but are they really good for you. That is part of my delemma I don't know what is really healthy and what is not.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The key top my weight loss earlier this year (lost 50 pounds in under 6 months) was giving up workday snacks. If you can't do that, then hopefully you will find a good substitute. But for me, it was a key. It made things so simple and it only took a few days to get past it.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same issue. Chips are my downfall. So I am getting almonds and pistachios. I will bring some of those to work each day to see if that helps with my craving something salty.

don't completely quit chips or you will feel deprived and possibly give up, instead make sure they fit in your calorie allowances on MFP, and be sure you measure those chips by weighing them or by only getting individual size packs (try xochitl tortillas, you will love them)
  • happywithme12
    Options

save your money, just buy a case of mason jars and put fresh fruit and/ or fruit juices in your water- and don't overlook the convenience of the water drops and drink packets

fiber one oat and chocolate bars will kill cravings for sweets and they keep you from being hungry because of the high fiber in them so keep a box of those in your desk

I should just get some mason jars from the dollar store and stick with those your right, cause the pitcher is $20.00. I like the peanut butter fiber one bars, I am pretty sure its just a stage I am going through right now. I have a sweet tooth on some days and a salty one on the others
  • happywithme12
    Options
    The key top my weight loss earlier this year (lost 50 pounds in under 6 months) was giving up workday snacks. If you can't do that, then hopefully you will find a good substitute. But for me, it was a key. It made things so simple and it only took a few days to get past it.

I know I can prob do it and give them up but right now for some reason it seems to be a downfall and I am in a slump of sorts and I really need to get motivated and get back to where I want to be.
  • imgrateful
    Options
    Hi there. I am working from home today and having SUCH a hard time not snacking. Green tea, no sugar. That's what helps me. It cuts the cravings. I can't have snacks-they only awaken the beastly sugar-monkey in me (unless they are carb/sugar-free). I started MFP last month and have lost 10 pounds by cutting snacks and jacking up my exercising. I really hope this helps! Now I need some tea... NOW :-)!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I snack at my desk mid morning and mid afternoon. I try to plan ahead. I love frozen grapes, nuts, oatmeal and sometimes veggies and hummus. But you're right it's hard when there are so many celebrations! To the left - Cake to the right - Cake!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I know I can prob do it and give them up but right now for some reason it seems to be a downfall and I am in a slump of sorts and I really need to get motivated and get back to where I want to be.
    Whichever works for you. If you think you can give them up, I encourage you to try. Not everyone binges or gives up because they feel deprived. I didn't do either and I am at goal now. But figure out what works for you.
  • happywithme12
    Options
    Hi there. I am working from home today and having SUCH a hard time not snacking. Green tea, no sugar. That's what helps me. It cuts the cravings. I can't have snacks-they only awaken the beastly sugar-monkey in me (unless they are carb/sugar-free). I started MFP last month and have lost 10 pounds by cutting snacks and jacking up my exercising. I really hope this helps! Now I need some tea... NOW :-)!

I love green tea, have you tried it with honey instead of sugar. my doctor told me that honey is better because it is a natural sugar and i love green tea with honey so i should try to make some myself. I do have an ice tea maker that my husband bought for me
  • happywithme12
    Options
    I snack at my desk mid morning and mid afternoon. I try to plan ahead. I love frozen grapes, nuts, oatmeal and sometimes veggies and hummus. But you're right it's hard when there are so many celebrations! To the left - Cake to the right - Cake!

I am not big on plain oatmeal but I love granola but again I am not sure if that is actually healthy for you or not
  • happywithme12
    Options

Whichever works for you. If you think you can give them up, I encourage you to try. Not everyone binges or gives up because they feel deprived. I didn't do either and I am at goal now. But figure out what works for you.

I think I need to go over with my doctor (who by the way is a health freak and he drives me crazy sometimes LOL) what is really healthy and what is not, I know on here your not suppose to go over a certain calorie intake but some of the healthier (or what they say is healthy) stuff has a lot of calories in it.
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Sitting at my desk at this very moment snacking on HONEY NUT CHEERIOS with water of course!! :drinker:
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    today I had peanut butter and celery. yum
  • vfeinhaus
    vfeinhaus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are craving chips/saty snacks - a couple great options are pop chips, skididdy mac n cheese puffs (taste just like cheese curls), pirates booty, low fat pringles, baked lays, etc. - all around 100 cals for a serving

for sweet, i agree that fiber one is a great chocolatey snack that will keep you full. i also like having a cut up apple with a table spoon of peanutbutter.

for water consumption, i too struggly with that. I put a couple slices of lemon and that makes a huge difference. I am currently snacking on cut up red bell pepper strips and they are delish!
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    op, you are right- a lot of foods ppl list as healthy are high calorie. They are good for you, but in what seem like very small amounts. I like to take small portions of foods like that and add them to a huge bowl of raw spinach. That way, I get a mini-meal out of those calories, instead of a tiny snack. You can do this with dried fruit, granola, or nuts. Add 1/4 cup goat cheese and you have a delicious, under 300 calorie snack/meal and a huge bowl of food. the amount of time it takes you to eat it will make you feel more satisfied.
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE grapes. They are so easy to pop off the vine and throw in a tupperware container and go... They are only 50 calories for a whole cup! Tell me if I'm wrong but if you think about it, it's not the chips that you crave really it's just become the habit of doing it... so go with the habit and change the item... if you prefer crunchy salty, i love the special k wheat thins (30g for 120 calories) and rice cake poppers (the small bite size ones, not much to them but they substitute the chips very well for me and their about 120 calories per serving), apples, dry cereal (even chocolate cereal is about 120 calories for 3/4 of a cup so not too bad)... Please feel free to add me because i think we have the same struggles going on! Good luck to you and let me know if you need anything else!