Lead/Cadmium Warning?

Options
rj0150684
rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
So I eat probably 6-7 cans of seafood/week, mostly kipper snacks or sardines, but I also like to switch it up every now and then, so I got a tin of smoked oysters. On the back of the box, it has a warning that the product contains lead and cadmium (it’s a California Prop 65 warning).

I’m guessing that if they’re selling it as food, it’s probably fine to have this one, but I won’t be eating it because, come on. Lead in my food? Enough that it requires a warning?

Has anyone else ever seen this kind of warning on a food? If so, what was it? Did you eat it anyway?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It's a California law that requires the disclosure statement. Prop 65 lawsuits are a cottage industry in California, which allows lawyers sue on behalf of the state and collect a portion of any judgement or settlements reached. Putting the disclaimer on the package avoids the lawsuits.

Because the seafood can naturally have trace amounts of lead or cadmium, and there is no lower limit set by law or court precedent, the company likely felt it was necessary to give the Prop 65 warning to preempt to any suits to coerce money out of them.

Sardines are fast growing fish, so they're generally low risk. Tuna and other long lived predator fish do accumulate mercury, so you should be careful with consuming them.