How to get protein

Options
2»

Replies

• allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem. I'm ok with some nuts but have major intolerance for lactose and soy and lots of difficulties with legumes. (I do like falafel tho) I am trying to find a protein powder with no soy and no dairy. Any suggestions? (I am in Canada)
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I found some protein bars that were nut free over the weekend, going to try various brands as work snack this week to see which I enjoy. I have also switched out my sandwich bread for "Nature's Own wheat" as it had a higher protein count than the one I was using before.

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I eat a vegan diet and never, ever worry about protein. Americans have been sold a bill of goods when it comes to protein. Just eat food, get your greens and beans in, and you will never have a problem.

When was the last time you ran into someone with kwashiorkor?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    I eat a vegan diet and never, ever worry about protein. Americans have been sold a bill of goods when it comes to protein. Just eat food, get your greens and beans in, and you will never have a problem.

There's a difference though between "not-deficient" and "optimal". Making sure you are adequately fueling muscle repair is just common sense if you are actively trying to build muscle, isn't it?

It is actually recommended that those losing weight should eat more protein to protect themselves from losing more muscle mass than they need to. And it is rather common for older people to struggle to retain muscle mass as they age,

Also, many of us find protein necessary for satiety. I really struggled to stick to my calorie goal until I got both fiber and protein up over the minimum, one or the other on their own didn't help. Between satiety and muscle-building, increasing my protein was literally life changing!
  • Rocbola
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    There's a difference though between "not-deficient" and "optimal". Making sure you are adequately fueling muscle repair is just common sense if you are actively trying to build muscle, isn't it?

It is actually recommended that those losing weight should eat more protein to protect themselves from losing more muscle mass than they need to. And it is rather common for older people to struggle to retain muscle mass as they age,

Also, many of us find protein necessary for satiety. I really struggled to stick to my calorie goal until I got both fiber and protein up over the minimum, one or the other on their own didn't help. Between satiety and muscle-building, increasing my protein was literally life changing!
    I have had no problem building muscle and increasing fitness, because a low processed, mostly plants diet, like i eat, has plenty of protein to rebuild muscle, as well as the fuel needed to get the job done. There is a lot more to the picture than just protein. The way i eat is optimal for me. (and everyone else who tries it)

Recommended by whom? I have seen that a lot in magazines and TV shows, but haven't found it to be helpful to me. I wonder why it would be a problem for old people in a land where most people get too much protein?

If it works for you great, but for satiety, i need some bulk, and to get some bulk without too many calories, i had to turn to high water content and high fiber content food. The food i eat has plenty of protein!!!!

• kimny72
    Options

I have had no problem building muscle and increasing fitness, because a low processed, mostly plants diet, like i eat, has plenty of protein to rebuild muscle, as well as the fuel needed to get the job done. There is a lot more to the picture than just protein. The way i eat is optimal for me. (and everyone else who tries it)

Recommended by whom? I have seen that a lot in magazines and TV shows, but haven't found it to be helpful to me. I wonder why it would be a problem for old people in a land where most people get too much protein?

If it works for you great, but for satiety, i need some bulk, and to get some bulk without too many calories, i had to turn to high water content and high fiber content food. The food i eat has plenty of protein!!!!

I'm confused. I thought you meant protein wasn't important, but now you're saying you don't have to worry about protein because you get plenty in your diet. That's great, but I wasn't getting plenty in my diet, so focusing on getting more helped me. Not sure why you would assume that everyone else would eat what you eat and get the same macros as you eating plant based.

While the "average" American eats a lot of meat and therefore probably gets plenty of protein, dieters often tend to cut way back or eliminate protein sources when trying to cut calories without meaning to, especially women.

Anyway, I'm glad you don't have to worry about protein! The MFP goal is actually pretty low, so if someone isn't even hitting that low number, it certainly can't hurt for them to start paying a little attention to it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I mean, I have nutritional and fitness goals that go beyond simply avoiding kwashiorkor.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    I'm confused. I thought you meant protein wasn't important, but now you're saying you don't have to worry about protein because you get plenty in your diet.
    Worrying about protein is not important because if you are getting enough calories from whole unprocessed plant foods, you are getting enough protein.
    I hope you are no longer confused.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I thought you meant protein wasn't important, but now you're saying you don't have to worry about protein because you get plenty in your diet.
    Worrying about protein is not important because if you are getting enough calories from whole unprocessed plant foods, you are getting enough protein.

Can you define what you think is "enough" protein? Because I can think of lots of types of meals made exclusively from whole unprocessed plant foods that would result in an overall low protein intake. So for an example, if my goal is to eat 1,460 calories a day, what would be the least amount of protein you think I would need to feel my best?
  • kimny72
    Options

I respectfully disagree, but I don't think we're going to change each other's minds, so I'm happy to leave it at that :drinker:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I've had very low albumin before. It's not rare